PDFpenPro or PDFexpert

Only by emailing them to yourself :roll_eyes:

Thankfully not so!

You can select the ellipsis in the top right>Save>Annotation Summary
this allows you to save the file in any location offered by the Files app.

PDF EXPERT has my vote Mac OS and iOS - rock solid stable and does everything I need, except locking PDF’s to non printable or non-editable. For that I have to use my Windows laptop and use PDF-X Change (But that’s a different discussion topic).

Thanks for the notice. I picked up a Mac copy and look forward to trying it out.

I kept purchasing PDF Pen Pro thinking I’d need it in case I wanted to make forms. For at least a decade I’ve never made one.

+1 PDF Expert.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if PDF Expert has a “deskew” function for adjusting crooked scans? I know PDF Pen Pro does but I wasn’t able to find any documentation about it re: PDF Expert.

Thanks!

It hasn’t. But deskewing can usually be done by the scanner software.

1 Like

@vco1, thanks for confirming this!

If you have to make forms, PDF Pen Pro is the way to go. I’ve used it to make forms myself, though it isn’t a particularly pleasant experience (found it a bit awkward but doable).

Actually, I think Adobe Acrobat Pro (or whatever it’s called nowadays) is the way to go for pdf forms. Or for any other serious tasks involving pdf’s. I’ve used it for years, and nothing could come close to it. Excellent OCR. And it created the smallest files too. However, it comes at a (hefty) price. And in the end I simply couldn’t justify it for the work I’m doing. So now I try to accomplish the same thing with other tools. Which is a bit of a compromise, but such is life. :wink:

Does it do bulk ocr. Can you have it ocr a bunch of saved PDFs or do you need to do them one at a time

PDF pen does bulk OCR in name only, you have to keep the number below 20-ish for it to work otherwise it just hangs, I’d really like to give it 100 PDFs and then wake up the next morning with them all OCRd

Actually, I’m slightly disappointed in this marketplace: I had hoped PDFPen and PDFExpert would keep leapfrogging each other. (Rather like Launcher/LaunchCenter and Scanbot/ScannerPro used to.)

But maybe I’m being unfair.

I did get the feeling that PDFExpert in some way had synergy with their other products (but I’ve long since forgotten the details). That might be a consideration.

DEVONthink does work well for this. I had it bulk OCR 500 documents and it handled it with no problem at all.

1 Like

I finally had it with PDFPen Pro and purchased PDF Expert for the Mac. Nearly every time I use advanced tools on PDFPen Pro, like OCR or redacting or editing PDFs, PDFPen Pro would mess up the non-touched text on the PDF. For example, if I’d redact three words on a line, the remainder of the line would be erased, the font would change, or the kerning would change such that the letters would be compressed together. I downloaded PDF Expert for the mac and redactions work as easily as editing does on iOS. I hated to pay another $79 for PDF software, but glad to have a tool that works as reliably as PDF Expert does.

5 Likes

Yepp! I had exactly the same problems already with PDFpen Pro v.6, and stepped over to PDFexpert.

Sad to hear that these issues still exists…

1 Like

Another issue for scandinavian users to be beware of is the OCR language support:
Very few OCR-apps are using the ABBYY OCR engine, which supports local dictionaries with the special characters Æ,Ø,Å
Both PDFexpert and Devonthink Pro Office (DTPO) are using this engine.

Since 2007 I’ve tried so many different apps whilst digitalizing my papers, and still have problems with contest-searching older (english-OCD’ed) docs without a single norwegian word - caused either by my first documentscanner Canon P215 (bad OCR-software), or other earlier apps used because of basic automation or scripting support.

My life got SO much easier after purchasing DTPO and doing batch-OCR with simple Folder-action import rules (or Hazel-rules).
But since DTPO is my archive, I use PDFexpert to annotate and view docs in my “active” File-folder from iOS.

Did you find any ways to automate this? I have Acrobat through work and would love to use Hazel. A pass through he Noodlesoft forums a few months ago did not show a good way to do this.

I also switched to PDF Expert and kicked PDFPen Pro to the curb. Too many bugs, lockups etc…

1 Like

I have lots of automations set up for Acrobat, it has really extensive AppleScript support, so it is possible.

However, I use Folder Actions instead of Hazel.