Personal Data Warehouses

That is a lot of how I used DEVONThink before. After my issues with DT and my move to eliminate it from my app stackfor anything critical or important or that I archive I’m doing that in Obsidian now. I make extensive use of TOC and MOC type notes and can get to something with about the same number of clicks as I used in DT.

That is now my only use for DT. I clip to RTF files, then open the package, extract out the text into Obsidian and the images into Obsidian as attachments and transclude them in the text note. Then delete out of DT. Works great.

That’s one expensive web Clipper!

With the amount of stuff I have I can get pretty far with ripgrep-all

Considering sticking my own UI in front of something that could render pages nicely. It’s literally just the Clipper that I wish there was something free or cheaper I could use.

I had already paid for it when I had all the problems so I’m trying to get as much use out of what has become an otherwise useless investment.

2 Likes

I had been looking for a good web clipper since I dropped Evernote. Turns out Notion’s is almost identical to EN and it can export to pdf, html, markdown, or csv.

1 Like

Usually I just select some text in Safari and use a Keyboard Maestro macro to open a new Markdown file filled with the text and a Markdown-formatted URL. Works pretty well for most pages with the StopTheMadness browser extension coercing some of the less cooperative websites. And the captured text file is quite a bit smaller than a PDF clipping.

For web pages whose format I want to preserve, I use EagleFiler’s web clipper. And ScreenFloat from Eternal Storms Software can be configured to dump its screen caps directly into EagleFiler.

EF is a good choice. I particularly like the single page PDF option. But since I work almost exclusively on my iPad Pro, Notion works best for me these days.

1 Like

I have aspired to the iPad life, where a yeoman hands Capt. Picard a beautifully minimal device for his review. But I just can’t do it. I started out with green screens and Fortran and paper tape and punch cards. For me the computer revolution peaked at clear black text beautifully displayed on a clean white background, with the idea of a mouse perfected and embodied in a trackpad and cursor. Oh, I’ll read and surf on a tablet when it’s convenient to, but every effort to go beyond that has met with rebellion from my fingers. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes