Photo Backup Done Right

Do you backup to Arq via Unraid too? I was digging into it and it seems either you can use a Windows 10 VM to backup with Arq to another cloud service or run Duplicati (spelling) that’s Linux based. Not sure how I’d feel running both Arq on my Mac and Duplicati on my UnRaid to the same Backblaze B2.

I’d expect you’d be able to run ARQ in a VM on the unRAID server. I don’t as then I would have two sets of identical backups hosted by Backblaze (direct and indirect B2).

1 Like

Wait @Benjamin you backup to regular Backblaze not B2? I mean that then I’d only have to backup my laptop and can have the rest of my stuff tasked with backing up using my server CPU given my older laptop model (2010 White MacBook).

I have two or three backups for my systems.

The first is my onsite unRAID server. I use ARQ to backup via ssh.
The second is the standard BackBlaze account and app.
The third, which is only done on PCs, is to a second internal drive. This is also done with ARQ.

So I have two PCs backing up to three locations and a laptop backing up to two. I do not back up my server. Everything on there is (a) a backup of a PC or laptop; (b) media files I ripped from physical copies I have; or © data I don’t really care about (DVR recordings, a couple Minecraft servers, other misc data).

Technically I have another “backup” in the form of iCloud, which keeps copies of my Apple digital purchases and photos. This is used by our iPads, iPhones, and the laptop.

Ah didn’t know PC’s were in the mix. Seems like a great setup that works well for you. I’ll start a separate thread about my own backup system and such and @ you.

For me back up needs to be very automated. Here is what I do:

1. All photos stored on the hard drive of my iMac;
  2. Everything on the hard drive, including photos, continuously backed up by time machine to an airport timecapsule.
  3. Every couple of weeks I sync the photos on the iMac to a PC on another floor of the house. I use Syncback running on the PC to do this - but I have to kick the process off manually.
    4 Everything on the PC backs up continuously to Carbonite.

That way I have 4 copies of everything including one that is in the cloud and not in the house (technically it is not even in the country as I think Carbonite is based in the US).

Only one partly manual step - step 3 - and it is really simple and fast.

How much storage does your server have?

5tb total with a 4tb parity drive in case on drive dies.

1 Like