Photo scanner for old family photos?

5 TB here. But it`s a non-issue, storage is cheap.

1 Like

The photos take up ~14 GB

1 Like

Yeah by my math it’ll be 200-300 GB for my estimated amount of photos I have to scan

1 Like

Hey guys,

Even paying around with the idea of going to a company or backup photos myself. I tried one of the high end Kodak ps80 scanners and I’ll give them props they definitely fast but to own it is crazy expensive in my opinion and limited to pc. Based on some research I’ve grabbed a epson 680 and started scanning some photos really impressed so far. It advertises you can mix and max different size photos in one scan so I did some 4x6, 5x6 in different orientations the photos turned out great only jammed once and didn’t cause any harm to my photos. I’ll share more as I use it

I have that same scanner. I found it worked better if I tried to match sizes. The other thing you need to watch out for is vertical whites lines on some scans. This happens when it needs cleaning. Their website shows the technique for cleaning. What I would do is scan one batch, check to see if it had the lines. If it did, I discarded that set of scans, cleaned the scanner, and re-scanned those photos. I scanned at best quality and was happy with those results.

1 Like

Great advice 100% agree. I generally clean the scanner before any major scanning just to be safe.

1 Like