Podcasts - “kind of” and “sort of”

A range of verbal tics is much better than one that repeats a lot.
The people I stopped listening to were saying umm a couple of times every sentence.

I guess it’s a sliding scale, but at that frequency the content would have to be superb.

2 Likes

Two things:

• When editing I leave some of that in - to retain some humanity.
  • I want to lower the barrier to self expression, not raise it.

It’s the quality of the ideas and arguments that are fundamental to me, not the production values.

But that’s just me.

Same here. There’s a podcast I absolutely love, but I had to stop listening because the umms were so excessive they became all I could hear. A few I could easily ignore, but at some point it overwhelms the content for me.

As a podcaster myself, I am aware of my own verbal crutches (so, and right are my personal problem words). Thanks to this thread, I’m putting renewed effort into eliminating them.

2 Likes

As someone who edits my own I’m aware of the “so” tic. Funnily enough you can see certain waveforms for certain tics. (Whether using Audacity or Ferrite.)

There is a podcast I won’t name where the reaction “yeah” happens too frequently. I would’ve edited about half of those out. (In my podcast, strangely enough, my co-conspirator and I don’t seem to do that. Might be telling me something.) :smiley:

@MartinPacker What is your podcast about and is it avaible for public consumption?

Mainframe, Performance, Topics: ‎Mainframe, Performance, Topics Podcast on Apple Podcasts

2 Likes