Poll on iOS13.3 Stability

I’ve previously asked about views on iOS 13, and frequently checked this a resource to understand what reliability of the OS is really like. I’ve been keen to use to since WWDC (or before!) but not willing to compromise data integrity over a Beta cycle. I’d normally jump in on day1 or soon after but I’ve heard nothing but issues with iOS13 so how good is it?

• Do you have any issues?
  • Would you recommend it to a friend, colleague or relative?
  • Or is it still with issues which concern or frustrate you?

I’m sure polls below don’t cover all use cases but I’m hoping that some data might provide perspective to both my reservations and others with their experience in using iOS13.

I’ve setup these polls on both on the latest set of faceID phones, earlier phones, and in ipadOS.

iOS 13 - on an iPhone X or later

• I have iOS13.3 installed and have no issues with any Apps installed.
  • I have iOS13.3 installed and only minor issues with any Apps installed, not with the OS.
  • I have iOS13.3 installed and a few issues which I hope Apple will resolve in the next update.
  • I have iOS12 installed and I’m waiting on a better version of iOS13.

0 voters

iOS 13 - on an iPhone 8 or earlier

• I have iOS13.3 installed and have no issues with any Apps installed.
  • I have iOS13.3 installed and only minor issues with any Apps installed, not with the OS.
  • I have iOS13.3 installed and a few issues which I hope Apple will resolve in the next update.
  • I have iOS12 installed and I’m waiting on a better version of iOS13.

0 voters

ipadOS 13

• I have ipadOS 13.3 installed and have no issues with any Apps installed.
  • I have ipadOS 13.3 installed and only minor issues with any Apps installed, not with the OS.
  • I have ipadOS 13.3 installed and a few issues which I hope Apple will resolve in the next update.
  • I have iOS 12 on my iPad installed and I’m waiting on a better version of ipadOS 13.

0 voters

1 Like

Poll closing soon

It would be useful to have as many inputs as possible to get better picture of how iOS13 is really performing.

Or not performing!
Personally, it’s been the most disappointing upgrade for my iPad Pro. (Words like ‘dumpster fire’ spring to mind.) I found out I’m not alone either, https://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-bugs-and-annoyances-apple-desperately-needs-to-fix-in-2020/
I have all the issues mentioned in this article!

Yes, dumpster fire. And yes, you are not alone.

My wife and I kept our 4 iOS devices (two iPhones, two iPads) on iOS 12 because of the iOS 13 bug reports. During the holiday season we bought a new iPad Pro 11" for my wife to replace an older iPad Air. The new iPad Pro came with iOS 13 and appeared to work OK, so we upgraded the other 3 devices to iOS 13.3.

We thought we were smart by waiting 3 months for 3 “point releases” for iOS 13.3.

Not smart enough, apparently. Upgrading to iOS 13 was a big mistake. Quirky issues are present in Mail, continuity/handoff fails to show Safari tabs [edited - tabs] between our iMacs (running Mojave) and the iOS devices, selecting and copying text is troublesome, issues are present with AirDrop, etc.

Apple has not done a good job with iOS 13. Ditto with macOS Catalina.

I’d left it open to allow for more votes, but this poll is closing this weekend…

Will be interesting to see what the poll says.

iPhone 8, works mostly fine for me.

I voted “has a few issues I’d like Apple to resolve…” because the only real issue I have is with the OS. All apps seem fine.

The problem I have is that in the evening, after my Screentime downtime has started, if I use Safari, the keyboard keeps auto-closing itself as I type URLs. This is incredibly frustrating, and probably a bug, but I’m not supposed to be using my phone then anyway so I can’t be that angry.

So the results consistently say that 13.3 has addressed the issues of previous releases but that there remains minor issues with the OS.

Maybe the MPU forum users or those responding to the poll is a self selecting group but I find it interesting that almost no-one is sticking with iOS12. (I have been using iOS12 but didn’t vote in the poll.)

So this addresses the question I’ve been asking myself since September, can I update my iOS devices? It appears that the answer for me and anyone else asking themselves the same thing is yes.

1 Like

Bitten the bullet and installing ipadOS on my iPadPro 2018

Don’t do it! (probably too late to warn you)

You are too late, but what’s your reasoning? What issues are you finding?

My iPad is largely a consumption device, with the only real work in Mail and OmniFocus.

[Edited - Some problems resolved after a “mysterious” software update. See post by @dfay and followup post by me below. Continuity problem remains.]

Several significant issues, mostly related to incompatibility between IOS 13 and any version of macOS prior to Catalina. Safari Continuity (accessing open tabs on other devices) does not work between IOS 13 devices and macOS Mojave (10.14.6). iMacs running macOS Mojave or earlier do not recognize (or “trust”) IOS 13 devices. This means you may not sync music (or other content) between your iTunes library on the Mac and the IOS devices. Also, you cannot back up (encrypted or otherwise) the IOS 13 devices to iTunes on the Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier.

These are serious issues for my wife and me. They were not adequately disclosed by Apple Care reps when advising us to upgrade our several IOS devices to IOS 13. I cannot upgrade my iMac to macOS Catalina until an alternative for my frequently-used Fujitsu Scansnap scanner (32-bit software) is ready.

We regret upgrading our iPhones and iPads to IOS 13. We now cannot back up to the Macs, sync iTunes content or use Continuity functions … in exchange for what? Fancier emojis?

I understand the 32-bit scanner software issue - this was clearly communicated in advance by Apple. But I see no reason that a new version of IOS should force one to upgrade a Mac to Catalina in order to avoid “breaking” significant Apple-specific functions (Continuity, iTunes syncing, backup) of the most recent prior version of macOS, at least without adequate warning by Apple.

This isn’t correct - I just used Continuity to open this very page on my Mac running 10.14.6 from my iPhone running iOS 13.3 . And then tested it successfully in the opposite direction.

Maybe there are some ports that are inadvertently closed on your network?

I’d need to double-check on my desktop machine but I’m pretty sure I updated to iOS 13, then backed up on High Sierra, before trading in my iPhone 7 a few months back.

1 Like

I use continuity on iOS, iPadOS and Catalina a lot and I have had zero issues. I waited to upgrade for a month or so after the release, maybe that had something to do with it.

@dfay - Thank you for the reply. You are correct, and your reply encouraged me to proceed with installing new “mysterious” software offered up by Apple. Explanation below.

Some background: I spent a couple of hours on two separate calls Apple Care on this issue - failure of connecting an IOS device to a Mac running macOS Mojave (or earlier). The original IOS-oriented Apple Care rep transferred the call to a macOS rep and finally to a 2nd level macOS Apple Care rep. We went through several troubleshooting steps (ensuring devices signed in to same iCloud account, various settings in IOS and macOS, re-booting, etc). In the end, the 2nd-level macOS rep emphatically stated that all devices had to be on the most recent operating systems - IOS 13 and macOS 10.15 Catalina. He further stated that a software installation pop-up referred to an upgrade to macOS Catalina (see below).

When connecting the IOS 13 iPhone or iPad to a pre-Catalina Mac by USB cable, a pop-up window appears, stating: “A software update is required to connect ______'s iPad Pro.”

Clicking on “Learn More” leads to an Apple Support article:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208831
The Apple Support article mentions an un-named software update and states that Mac and iTunes software needs to be up to date.

I originally feared that the software might be a macOS Catalina upgrade, so I did not want to install it. It turns out that the software update is actually an iTunes update, not macOS Catalina. After allowing the update to install, I was able to connect the iPhone and iPad Pro to my iMac for the purposes of backup and iTunes syncing.

Unfortunately, Safari Continuity still does not work.

Thanks again for the reply.

Yeah now that I see that I remember that update.

I checked & I have successfully backed up an ios 13 device to my High sierra box. (Continuity doesn’t work on it because it’s from 2010👴🏻).