[Poll] What's your e-mail client of choice on the macOS?

Apple mail mac/ios. Only interested in multiplatform third party apps. And later this year Joe Kissell promised to have ‘news’.

I try everything and then always end up with Apple Mail. It’s boring and limited, but that’s what I end up liking about it.

5 Likes

Another vote for Apple Mail. I’ve tried so many others, but…

Apple Mail here, too. While it’s certainly not the most feature-rich by any means, it also lacks the negatives of the clients that outshine it in that regard. Hoping it gets a little love from Apple at WWDC, but then that’s the seemingly eternal hope leading up to each June.

With the update to Mojave, I can once again use Apple Mail for my work email. I added Mail Act-on for quicker filing and am very happy.

Same here. I was a Postbox user for many years and really liked it. But I found that it used so much CPU time. Every time I started Activity Monitor it was always #1 or #2 in total CPU time used. So I decided to see if I could find something else. I tried Airmail first. I liked it and found it very fast…but very idiosyncratic.

So next I tried Spark. I have been using Spark on iOS for a while and have been pretty happy. But I find the MAC version was very sparse in terms of features and capabilities.

So I started trying MailMate about 10 days ago, and so far I am very happy. It is very fast and very powerful. It is not a polished product and not for everybody … but so far I like it.

busycal probably. #kissell

Another MailMate user here:

• Markdown is the best!
  • Integration with top-notch macOS apps like OmniFocus and BusyCal.
  • Text-based interface makes me want to process email as quickly as possible and then proceed with proper work! (Like… you know… posting on the MPU forums! :smile:).
  • They even have a command line interface, which makes sending out email newsletters a breeze! (https://manual.mailmate-app.com/emate)
4 Likes

Question for you and other MailMate users: am I correct in assuming that it’s probably overkill for somebody who’s not using email for work purposes?

I have five IMAP accounts, but: all are personal; only two get any noticeable amounts of email daily; and one of those two (Gmail) is forwarded to the other (FastMail). So, while MailMate surely seems interesting and impressive — and I have read through its highly informative site, been impressed by what I’ve read about the developer, and downloaded it to have a trial look-see — I haven’t yet come up with a case where it wouldn’t be ’waaaaay more app than makes sense for my admittedly pedestrian needs.

Until this year, I used MailMate for personal use only. However, I didn’t think it was overkill at the time. What you have is a rock-solid email application that helps you process email and get on with your day as fast as possible - which, given my distaste for email, is worth every penny.

3 Likes

For my single personal gmail account I have a love/hate relationship and keep bouncing between mail.app and the gmail app (most of my email usage is mobile). I wish i could just pick one and stop. On the Mac its the gmail app - but i am always loosing the tab in Safari.

I have spent a few days trialing it. Still not sure it’s right for my particular use case, but surely am impressed so far:

1 Like

That’s hilarious; I came across your blog post earlier today (I think I saw it linked on Twitter) and referred to it in another thread, here.

1 Like

After a few months with MailMate, am still highly impressed with all the aspects I mentioned in that post but have just about decided it probably is, indeed, more than my pedestrian scenario really needs. (Not sorry I have contributed to Dr. Nielsen’s cause, however.) If I don’t change my mind again in the next few days, likely will be heading back to Apple Mail on macOS, assuming the imminent drop of Catalina doesn’t break my heart in that regard somehow — and, even if it does, I’ve paid for MailMate so could just re-revert if it came to that. :smiley:

I’ve been using spark lately (pending my hey.com invite). I really liked airmail but mail kept getting stuck in drafts when I tried to send so I went back to Spark which I like but would love it if it had the option to turn off threaded messages view.