Printer recommendations

I’ve been using a Brother MFC-9970CDW (way more expensive than the $400 we paid from Costco several years ago). Love it, it prints color and black and white, laser, duplex, fax, scan, etc. But it’s almost out of life.

I’m looking for a similar printer, at least in capabilities - no need to be a Brother) that will also allow printing from iOS devices. But still scan, duplex print, fax (my wife requires this for her work), etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, gang!

Costco has an HP multi function laser printer (M281cdw) on discount for $320 until the 27th that I’m considering for a family member who needs similar capabilities. I have no experience with that particular model but owned a laserjet 4 for many years until it died then replaced it with an HP color laser which has been doing great.

I’d look at Brother again. My mom has for several years been using a similar (now discontinued) Brother multifunction printer at home and regularly uses the scanning, printing and faxing functions without problem; if/when it breaks she’s said she’s getting another Brother unit.

You can see the current models here, with list prices attached. (Street/Amazon pricing usually around 30% lower than list prices.) The most popular of the Brother multifunction units with AirPrint is probably the $140 MFCL2710DW - the main downside is possibly that the auto-document feeder doesn’t do duplex scanning…

Generally I prefer Brother to other brands because of generally excellent macOS driver support over the years.

1 Like

What is the iOS means you use for printing? I’ve used the Brother application, but the limits it imposes are challenging. For example, my daughters use Pages, but have to save something as a PDF or doc before they can print. If there is a better way, I’d love to know it and know how to make it work on my older printer and, perhaps, a newer printer.

Thanks!

My wife bought a HP M281fdw. She likes it. When she started back to school for her Masters degree I bought her an Epson WF-4630 which made it two years. The print head messed up. The replacement parts was the same money as a new printer.

I don’t do a whole lot of printing at home.

I’ve been using this model the last month or so since we got it - Brother MFC-L3750CDW. I haven’t had an opportunity to try faxing with it, so I can’t vouch for that. Found on Amazon for $329.

It has decent features:

• AirPrint
  • Duplex Print
  • Copy/Scan/Fax
  • Color Print
  • Can scan to cloud services, if that’s your thing

One thing to note, it does not do duplex scanning/copying, so if you need that, it may be a deal-breaker.

I’m also in the market for a small printer to print in black/white, which can fit in a small place and which I can print wirelessly to from my iPad Pro.

Any recommendations out there?

1 Like