Problems with Fantastical. The newest version should be a Beta Release

And unlike Fantastical, BusyCal supports tags. You’d expect Fantastical to be more feature complete for the amount of money they charge.

1 Like

What made me give up on BusyCal on the Mac is, the elasticity of the vertical scroll bar acts weird on my Mac when I try to shift events happening on the night, resulting in all kinds of mistakes. This kind of friction drives me mad :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been a BusyCal user too. Neither BusyCal nor Fantastical are perfect. Unfortunately they’re the only options for a Mac native standards-compliant calDAV client. I’m afraid the market isn’t big enough for a third competitor.

1 Like

I paid $5 to try Fantastical again for a month, because I can really use what it does. The Google API chaos from launch is resolved. All the apps are more graceful now about initial sync. Performance is better (e.g., rotating the screen with a couple dozen active calendars now renders quickly enough to feel usable.) The bugs are still annoying though. For example:

• Watch complication doesn’t update for hours at a time (so far I’ve let it go up to 12, repeatedly. If I trusted what it says I would have missed multiple meetings by now.)
  • On desktop only, an inexplicable Google Calendar API 403 error that starts popping up that apparently breaks calendar sync. It also seems to mess up removing and re-adding the calendar, even after restart. It may be caused by our G Suite account, but the way they (don’t) handle the error is disruptive.
  • An issue I’ve had three times where the iOS app starts only displaying a black loading screen and crashing 30 seconds later. It’s fixed by reinstalling, but it comes back.

I’m on iOS 13, Catalina, modern hardware, etc. Support has been responsive and I’ve been dutifully reinstalling, resetting, etc., as asked, but I suspect that the real answer to my tickets is that they know about these issues and just haven’t been able to fix them yet.

C’mon, people want to pay you $40-60/year! Don’t throw up these impediments.

1 Like

I saw that 403 error for the first time today. It’s only with my work G Suite account — my regular Gmail account is fine. I wonder if there’s something about G Suite that’s the problem.

1 Like

I really like Fantastical and do not pay monthly but, this recent iOS update broke the Shortcuts actions. So, my automation that fires every morning (which include Fantastical’s “show schedule”) is now broken. I reached out to support and they said it will be fixed in the next update.

It looks like this is something that Google needs to fix. Fortunately it looks like a fix is coming relatively soon.

4 Likes

Google Calendar is working well, I still receive error messages

1 Like

I’m happy to report that I’m back up and running.

I recommend reaching out to Flexibits Support if you’re still having issues.

I am just updating my post. Today’s update of Fantastical fixed the Shortcuts errors I noted. In my original post.

I am now settling on Firstseed Calendar, which is also suggesting already available events while you enter a similar title while offering Calendar sets and other niceties. Worth a look.

1 Like