Project Planning for 1 person (not a team)

As @tonycr mentioned above, in addition to Merlin Project Express and Aeon Timeline, Pagico is also available on Setapp. I’ve just downloaded this and will give it a try.

My use case for “project management lite” is to keep track of some medium to long-term projects that we have going on as a family, from tracking holidays as well as work that needs to be performed around the house. Individual tasks will get added to OmniFocus to keep track of the day-to-day items but something that will let me look at everything going on over the course of 3/6/12 months in a timeline view is what I am looking for.

While OmniPlan and ilk are accomplished products, they are too full-on (and too expensive) for what I need.

I’d take a look at Aeon Timeline. It would be a bit of a novel use for it but it’s fairly inexpensive ($50 for desktop) and not a subscription model. Runs on both Mac and Windows and also has an iOS version.

I have Omniplan but it’s just too complex for most projects. I also use Omnifocus for 99% of my project planning and Aeon timeline handles the remainder.

I’m going to test drive Aeon timeline this evening. The way I envision it working, I can lay out my long-term schedule—content, sales, and everything else—then use the timeline I create to fill out OmniFocus with repeating and one-time tasks.

Does anyone know if the Aeon Timeline in Setapp also allows use of the iOS app?

1 Like

Excellent, please let us know how it goes for you. I’d definitely be interested in your Timeline–>Omnifocus workflow, thanks!

We use Podio for everything. Highly flexible and super easy to use. LOVE IT!
https://podio.com

1 Like

When studying project management, I ran across a free app called Project Libre. It’s Java based and compatible with MS Project 2010 and below. Easy to use for general project work.

1 Like

There’s a new app coming along soon (in beta I believe) that’s a slightly different take on project planning.

http://www.sheetplanner.com/

I think you have about three problems you are lumping into a general statement. Here is how I like to think about these things

CRM is not Project Management.
Project Management is not Task Management.

I am a single person worker with less interfaces than you appear to have but let me outline what I do and what just does not work for me.

First I have yet to find a CRM that actually works the way I want it. I use the Apple calendar and contacts system and I do not want to have that information anywhere else or isolated in some paid service. To the best of my knowledge there are no CRM systems that work that way.

For project management there are more ways managing projects that I can think of and I have tried a lot of them. I keep coming back to a couple of systems. When I interact with others I use Trello. It works every where and “most” folks get the 3x5 card methodology. On a big screen you can see it pretty well. Now if you need a real timeline or gaant chart then mabye ominplan is just the right thing to use. IT is the cost of doing business.

For “projects” that are mine or sort of step by step I use omnifocus. I mostly follow a GTD methodology. The new version is getting more interesting. OF can also assign tasks to folks. IT might make a good core for you. Step back and think about it.

I use AnyList to share items with a few folks. Shopping with my wife is one if the best uses I have for it.

SOOOOOO

Where are we? The Omnigroup makes great software that works across the Apple device spectrum is is valuable and they get paid for their software. I really like it.

Trello is a great tool that is free and a nice metafor back to 3x5 cards

I am not paying a monthly fee except for iCloud that keeps everything in sync. I keep all my data in my echo system. I only have to trust a couple of vendors to be there when I need them

I stopped looking for tools a couple of years ago. IT killed my productivity. Sometimes a “working” system is more important than a “perfect” system

The smaller number of tools you use the better off you will be.

What does not work…

I do not review often enough; I really have to work to keep my system running; it takes effort. I fall down every week. I miss stuff. That is on me, not the tools.

I do not study what the tools can do for me enough to ensure that I am using them to their fullest potential.

3 Likes

My thoughts. If you have setapp defiantly try Merlin and Aeon time line. I had a very similar problem to you and ended up using the free version of Zenkit. If you spend a bit of time understanding it I think it will meet all your requirements.

Basecamp maybe worth a look as well - although I haven’t used it in some time.

Nick

Agreed… at least in theory. Curiosity about the new still holds me.

I made a Not Used Much folder on my iPad. Lots of apps go there, and few are pulled out.

Most of my key apps aiso run on my iMac. The iMac holds its place …27" screen, the pro version of Hindenburg Journalist and a bunch of ports.

1 Like

Definitely not the cheapest option, but maybe check out Smartsheet. Works like a spreadsheet but has task dependencies with calendar and gantt views. Lots of other features but easy to get started with it.

1 Like

I just have the standard Omnipro and use it for gantcharts

1 Like

http://www.podio.com

Podio has become one of those tools you can’t imagine being without. No end to the customization potential and very stable.

1 Like

Yes some of these full on Project apps turn into projects themselves and consume a large amount of time maintaining accurate and timely data.

I have been playing around with Notion and it has a lot of elements that are useful as building blocks to build you own software with the features that you want

1 Like

@anon41602260 are you coding sheet planner? Looks interesting but no info on availability

No I am not involved.