Prompt for Downloading Printer Software -- Nope

Every time I login to my MBPr I receive a Software Update prompt asking if I want to download software for my printer (Brother MFC-J4820DW). If I tell it to go ahead and download, it comes back and tells me that the software is not available. I already have the latest driver installed and the printer works fine, even for scanning, so I want this message to stop. Does anyone know how to disable it?

Are you using fhe Brother CUPS driver or Airprint?

CUPS

Blah blah. Filling minimum length requirement.

Hmm the quickest way to reset and get rid of .plist and other stuff related to printers is to reset the printer settings by right clicking in the Printer & Scanners pane and choose “Reset printing system” and start from scratch.

1 Like

I thought of that but didn’t want to go there quite yet. Setting up printers for the office is a real pain. I guess I’ll just have to bite that bullet. Thanks for the advice.

Remove the Brother related files manually:

• HD > Applications > Brother
  • HD > Library > Printers > Brother
  • HD > Library > LaunchAgents > com.brother…
  • HD > Library > Preferences > Brother
  • Restart the Mac
  • Download and install the latest version of the Brother software.

When adding the printer make sure you select the CUPS driver and NOT the AirPrint.

I’ve done this now a couple of times and it is still prompting me, although not on every login. I think I will need to bite the proverbial bullet and reset the printing system.