Python IDEs and learning?

I’ve been using Anaconda for several years now. It is great when it works, but is a royal pain when it doesn’t. I would definitely not recommend it for s beginner. Troubleshooting it is a lot of work. I follow the mailing list and am up to date with all of the problems going on. Jupyter Notebooks are the most amazing piece of tech to come along since Python itself, and they actually support over 100 languages now. The only way to get that functionality is by installing Anaconda though, it’s a double-edged sword.

Once you get over this you’ll be glad how much easier your life will be.

It works on all OSs too

:laughing: Yep and a floor sort won’t ruin your whole day.

4 Likes

Humm. I’ve been using for about 3 years, I think, and no problem with Python 2 or Python 3 (to where I’m migrating). OK, if not wanting to use Anaconda, then use another virtual environment. Virtual env’s are pretty much req’d so as to not break Apple’s OSX need for Python.

I concur with the recommendation for Coderunner. It’s a great multi-language scripting setup.

I wasn’t referring to python, I was referring to the Anaconda distribution. Anaconda isn’t just a virtual environment though, it’s a Python distribution for managing the scientific Python tools.

Python has kept me employed since 2006, I don’t even want to work with other languages.

I’m in favor of virtual Envs too, Anaconda has its own env management.