Questions About Verizon Fios

If you manage to get FIOS with no TV whatsoever, let us know :slight_smile: We had to get a basic TV service, SD only. Enjoy!

I have FIOS 300mb up and down internet only. I pay $40/month in NJ. I also rent the router but think since I don’t have FIOS tv I can return it and not pay the additional $15/month. eero is our router. This isn’t an introductory offer but the standard pricing supposedly.

Yes, the internet-only $40/month 300mb plan is the best bargain in NYC too, if you don’t use FiOS for TV or anything else. Spectrum (aka Charter aka NYC Cable aka Time-Warner Cable) charges $45/month plus for much slower internet-only access, (though the coax cable actually comes free with some basic local channels). If you’re a cord-cutter that’s the bang-for-the-buck deal. I regularly get flyers about this offering a 2-year intro deal, but of course they really want people to get their more expensive plans…

Manage? Can’t you just say that you don’t want Fios TV?

That sounds like torture. I always avoid SD at all costs.

Last time I checked, there’s no contract where I live. Also, my next-door neighbor has Verizon Fios (the 100 down/100 up plan). He likes it.

Google FiOS internet only and that $39.99 deal pops up.

Are you talking about this?

Router is either $15/month rental or a one-time $300 purchase - except on the top tier, where it’s free. If you’re considering the middle-tier then Verizon obviously wants to move you up to the top tier for $5/month more. But the low-end tier is faster (and a little cheaper) than the lowest competing cable tier.

Should I rent the router or should I just buy it outright?

I’d see if I could try the service with router rental then be able to buy a few months later if I wanted to stick around.

You can actually do that?

I’d call and see. Options become miraculously available when you f2f with people. As I said before as another example, at the end of contracts it’s not hard to speak to someone in Retentions to extend ‘introductory’ pricing (or getting extra perks upon renewal).

Contracts? I thought there were no contracts.

Call and confirm. Call and ask. Call them!

“Contract-free plans” is mentioned at the bottom of this list.