Random thought in what app?

“Hey Siri, remind me to …” and that goes thru Apple Reminders and directly into Cultured Code’s Things inbox where I then tag and schedule it next time looking at Things (usually about ten minutes hence). I do this Siri thing umpteen times a day and as long as I parse with care (eg don’t talk about diarisable times) it’s truly magical when walking, driving, whatever. It has replaced awol brain and works a treat except when around other humans who find it weird. But other humans write things like “feed cat” on a bit of dead tree and that’s apparently not weird?? Anyway when when I’m on the go and have time to catch up on calls or errands, it’s then “Hey Siri, show me today’s (whatever) list” and we’re sorted. Until the cat figures out how to log tasks directly into Things…

I’m resurrecting this very old post because it’s pretty close to my current question. I have a little time at this end of the year to take a step back and figure out some life stuff and how I organize the upcoming year(s).

This morning, as I was thinking about a lot of different things, I just started brain dumping. However, this also applies to a need for taking longer notes about things like calls/meetings.

I do want to minimize using too many apps so I don’t have to think of where things should go.

Over the years, the easiest thing I’ve used is Omnifocus even though many things aren’t tasks. Ultimately, non-tasks will get moved out of there but I’m trying to get away from that process.

I have used Drafts and although the main premise for that app is a place to quickly store things before sending them elsewhere, I find that it gets messy quickly when I brain dump and having to find and organize actions takes time.

Two days ago, I started learning and using Notion for a side project (a specific topic wiki). I never gave it much thought previously and didn’t want to spend the time learning it but after one day, I feel I have a good grasp of it (with some various drawbacks). But as I was doing that, I wondered how I could use it personally. I jotted down some ideas like books and movies and tv databases but haven’t created anything for it. I’m actually thinking of using it as a big journal (to include things like the aforementioned items but also tracking other things like food and trips and general things I find compelling on a daily basis.

This morning, I thought about Mindnode which I’ve only minorly dabbled with a few years back. It just never caught on with me but I never sat down to learn it well enough to be half-decent at it. I see the use for it but it’s another thing I would have to learn.

I dove into Obsidian about 1.5 years ago and that was a failed experiment. I found that if I’m not using it frequently, it becomes too cumbersome to remember how to do things.

I used Noteplan for a year with the main interest is that it was tied to dates but I stopped using it and honestly, can’t remember why I didn’t like it.

This year, I have started to use Agenda because that also can be date based but I’m not tied to it. I can’t pinpoint where it falls short for me. Maybe I want options for different views (like a calendar) versus an endless scrolling chronological list. (Perhaps the paid version has this.)

I know this is a lot to ask to come up with a tech stack that works but I know there are a lot of people here that I’m not alone with this issue.

Agenda is an attractive and likable app but I have stayed with NotePlan because I can keep my data locally on the Mac and iPhone in plain text files.

While I am on the go, if typed text, it’s Drafts or a quick entry into ToDoist. I have from time to time done a voice memo before voice-to-text got so good.

[edit]

I guess it depends how much friction you are willing to put up with. I am a dedicated Obsidian and DevonTHINK user but neither are great for spur-of-the-moment brain dumps when not at my desk (which I think was the original premise of the discussion?). If you are at your keyboard, it’s a different matter?

I’ve had the same experiences as you finding note-taking graveyards in places I don’t frequent a lot (especially handwriting app on the iPad, which I am continually cycling through).

Today I think that many of the apps you mention support plain text or .md and so are interoperable. I like designing a workflow that has clear get-out strategies in case I need to, and that tends to mean simplicity of file format, local storage, and intuitive, shallow storage structures.

Ultimately, it’s probably more valuable to design a system, then choose the tool (rather than the other way around and have your choices dictated).

Good luck and have fun!

I primarily use Siri and the Reminders app, and occasionally dictate notes to Apple Notes. I’ve found that speaking at a moderate pace with clear enunciation results in Siri accurately capturing my words about 90% of the time. Like @airwhale, I never interact with my phone while driving, as I couldn’t bear the guilt of causing harm to someone because I was messing with my phone.

For example, today a thought about decision-making flashed through my mind. I considered the importance of wisdom, kindness, and courage in this process and decided to add this concept to my book chapter on decision-making. I used Siri to set a reminder to incorporate this into the draft. Similarly, yesterday, while driving, it occurred to me that policy should not compel bad decisions; the right decision is more important than strict adherence to policy. I had Siri add this insight to Reminders for the same chapter.

Siri has been an effective tool for me. Even when there are minor errors in transcription, the essence of my thoughts is usually captured well enough to jog my memory later.

Driving or more likely hands full of sheep. Siri, take a note Still working todevelop a shortcut to take notes from apple notes and into my Obsidian inbox folder.

All other times, Pen and paper, I carry a small notepad and pen in my wallet in a pouch on my belt and I se that for all quick capture. I tear off the paper, stuff it into my right pocket. When I get back to my computer I pull all the notes out and put them on my keyboard or right behind it. I process as fast as I can.

I use the back side of daily calendars for notes taken while I am working, also sit behind my keyboard until processed.

Notes I take at night when I wake up are also in the same spiral bound notepads.

I wanted to use Siri while driving but 50% of the time, I get the dreaded “you must unlock your phone to use Siri”. I’m I have ann AirPods and Apple Watch. You would think I should have the phone unlocked already. By the time I handled the phone and get this going, it became too dangerous to drive. I feel that if Apple don’t fix this, Siri is going to cause more accidents than anything.

1 Like

I ask Siri via my Apple Watch to make a note or remind me of some random idea that occurs to me. It often gets translated into something else and occasionally entered into the Calendar App, but I can always guess what it meant!

I use Drafts, but I’ve never seen a screen like that. How do you set it up or get to it?

Thank you all for your input. Since I like Drafts, I’m going to make a concerted effort to set it up and try to figure out a workflow that is easy for me. It does a lot and the best thing is that there’s so little friction. I’ve had it on my watch but I never use it like that. I tend to use my phone if I’m out.

I’ve switched this year and now it’s Drafts for me. I’ve played with the dictation function a couple of times, but mostly I type (on whatever device is to hand). I’m treating Drafts as a place specifically for temporary notes that will end up somewhere else at some point, so I’m careful about handling it all regularly (I don’t need another Apple Notes, which originally was for temporary notes and now has hundreds of the darn things… It was easier to find a new app than fix my Apple Notes).

Analog Pocket briefcase. Fits easily in my pocket along with an air press ballpoint.

I know it’s not an app, but it’s awesome.

3 Likes