Read it Later vs Saved Links

I’ve always saved read-later links easily and nearly thoughtlessly but the problem with that was I then ended up with a massive pile of undifferentiated important and unimportant articles.

However, lately I’ve been pretty good about reviewing articles on Saturdays and Sundays. I categorize them as I go.

• Some articles are really important. I read and act on those then and there.
  • Others are possibly interesting, of the ilk “10 Things You Didn’t Know About Star Trek!” I either read those on the spot, or leave them in my to-be-read list for later.
  • Some are articles that would have been interesting soon after I bookmarked them, but are now out-of-date. Like, for example, a Fortnite vs. Apple update from this morning – there will be more current news on the subject by the weekend. I delete those.
  • “Why on Earth did I think this was worth saving? What was I thinking?” Delete!

After a few minutes of that I will have read everything that needs reading, deleted what’s unnecessary, and what’s left are articles which might be interesting, but which I can just skip reading without any harm, and will still be interesting next month or next year. I tag those articles “archive,” and I’m ready to start fresh for the next week.

1 Like

I have declared Pocket bankruptcy and started afresh more times than I care to admit. If it’s really important, it goes into DEVONthink or Bear.

After reading through everyone’s replies I’ve come to think the answer really is both:

• Eagerly save links
  • Review weekly (or at least more frequently than I currently do…maybe once every 2 years :slight_smile: )
2 Likes

+1 for Devonthink for a Read It Later Service - not only for bookmarks but also for RSS feeds

It makes sense because Devonthink can help organize/store/search so many other things, you wind up coming back to bookmarks because they are part of your overall information/data collection

And it makes sense because you own your data - no need to worry about stuff stored somewhere in the cloud in a proprietary system that might disappear sometime

1 Like

@TheMarty I think this is going to be a new growth area in the next couple of years. Bookmark management software is stale and there are new up and comers with innovative functionality looking to move tech-forward in this area.

Memex is one of those comings as is Walling

Memex released an IOS app Mem Go. This IOS app is in the early days and a bit rough eg. Syncing takes a good 30 minutes with several hurdles to jump, but in their defense, it is still in the Beta release so still needs proper incubation time.

1 Like

Resurrecting this topic, found it thankfully before writing a whole new one.

Does anyone use ‘Favorites’ in Safari? I have about 35 tabs pinned to my Safari browser. Previously, there were only 5-7 of things working on. Lately, it’s turned into, items that I check daily for updates.

I am trying to redo the whole (read it later, saved links, etc) Here is how I see it.

Read it Later - this is Pocket for me, I send stuff there all the time and when I am ready I process it weekly.

Saved Links - this is a mix for me. It gets divided into 2 areas.

• Area 1 - DevonThink - these are links/articles/pdfs that I want to save and come back to at some point because they deal with a category, project, hobby, etc.

• Area 2 - App? - This is the area that I am struggling with. What about links you check every day? Not necessarily for research. Here are a few examples for practicality

• MPU Forum - Checking Daily
    • Build Better Bricks - Website releases Lego alternative instructions regularly
    • Redfin
    • etc

Recap, generally (for myself) there are links…

1. purpose of catching/sorting with knowledge/news/etc (Pocket)
  2. purpose of filing/building knowledge (DevonThink)
  3. purpose of daily checks

Anyone else have this first world problem?

I use the Safari compact tab bar and have two pinned tabs that will probably be gone by the end of the day. I have 81 bookmarks in Favorites on my Safari Start page. I delete bookmarks I haven’t used in a while.

What I’ve landed on, which works decently is the following:

Read it Later:

• if it’s in an RSS feed, I keep it marked unread
  • otherwise I add it to my task manager

Saved for Sharing/Storage:

• all in raindrop

Along with that I’ve consolidated a bunch.

Examples include: I exclusively track YouTube videos to watch via RSS, and moved all of my GitHub Stars into their own collection on raindrop.

So far it’s worked well enough for that I haven’t bumped into a “where was that thing that I saw 2 weeks ago” moment in recent memory!

Oh yes indeed. I have about a dozen folders set up to organize the sites I visit regularly by category. For instance, I have one that holds all of the publications I subscribe to: I generally prefer going to their home pages and selecting what I want to read to the firehose of their rss feeds. I’ve got one with links to online courses and another for administrivia, etc.

I have 8 links and a folder containing around 80 more in my Safari Favorites. The 8 are sites I use at least one a week and the others are ones that I use less frequently.

My “Area 1” files (i.e. everything that isn’t on my iPad Pro) are in Google Drive and/or Google Keep. A Keep document may be a URL, a note, list, image, link to a document, email, etc., or a combination of the above. Instapaper is my read it later app.

I have three or four links saved to favorites, for websites I use for work that I consult many times a day. I use the Safari trick where you can set a keyboard shortcut for those favorites, command 1 through command 9. I also have a bookmarklet saved to favorites that eliminates sticky overlays on web pages.

I still have not found a read it later and document saving workflow that I like. I have at least figured out what I dislike about all the solutions that I’ve tried, which is a breakthrough I guess.

For sites I checked daily, like this forum, I just remember to check them. I figure if I don’t remember, I probably did not want to check them daily anyway!

2 Likes

I use the Safari trick where you can set a keyboard shortcut for those favorites, command 1 through command 9.

I do this, and it’s really useful.

A minor point and apologies if you already know this: you don’t need to set a keyboard shortcut manually for the top 9 favourites. Just drag them into your priority order in the favourites bar and cmd-opt-1 to 9 will open them according to their order in the bar. I rename them with a number prefix to make it more obvious which number to use, but that’s not necessary: the shortcuts work purely on the position in the favourites bar.

I don’t think this tip is in Safari help (at least, I couldn’t find it just now), and I can’t remember where I read it, but it works :grinning:, and the favourites bar doesn’t have to be open. Sadly, it doesn’t seem to work on iPadOS, even with an external keyboard.

By default cmd-1 to 9 is for the tabs from left to right, which is a useful combination in itself, of course. These also work on the iPad with an external keyboard.

Apologies if you already knew this, but I find them really useful shortcuts.

1 Like