Real Uses of Text Expansion

I’ve switched over to Alfred for my text expansion. Because I get a lot of “sales inquiries” I have a snippet for those that may have value but need to be redirected to others. Otherwise, I mark the emails as junk never to be seen again.

Here is the referral snippet:

Dear ,

Thank you for your email and interest in serving WCA. The appropriate person to contact is [Name] who serves as our [title]. I have copied [him/her] on this email so that [he/she] can respond to your inquiry.

Please feel free to remove me from your email distribution list.

Thank you again for your interest in serving WCA.

3 Likes

Here is what my (textexpander) Daily Summary journal entry looks like. Its a little long so I needed two screenshots but it is one snippet. This formats a nice daily summary and a Drafts action sends it to DayOne. I can then add photos or anything else needed. The drop down menus contain a wealth of text options so I very rarely need to type anything. Fill-in snippets are really powerful so thats why I requested that the DEVONthink developers add full TE support to iOS.

@anon85228692

5 Likes

Impressive. No wonder TE crashes when you ask so much of it. :grin: (Just joking!)

2 Likes

Yup. Switched a little over a year ago, works great and no subscription. Also no iOS app, but so few apps support TextExpander anymore it no longer makes a big deal.

3 Likes

Don’t give up all hope yet. We still have full iOS TE support in:

Drafts
Omnifocus
Fantastical
Byword

and DEVONtech is rewriting the text editor in DEVONthink so I am hoping for some goodies there in the near future

1 Like

I use TextExpander. At work, I have a lot of check lists for things like adding equipment to our network, configuring a VOIP phone, etc. This is my most valuable trick, standard check lists mean I don’t miss things and need to go back and do rework later. This is also one thing that makes TE worth paying for: cross platform syncing and support.

At home and work, I use it for journal prompts, and date math (I use MacSparky’s TextExpander Snippets — MacSparky to get things like “Tomorrow” and “Next Monday” back as dates. Those are magic.

When I was job hunting, some years ago, I used a parameterized TE snipped to send thank you letters within minutes of ending a job interview.

When a new employee gets remote access, I send them an email customized with their user name and the name of their workstation filled in, not just a generic “Your Name Here” email. Many of my colleagues chose a career involving work with autistic children, and never expected to need to learn the ins and outs of VPNs and Remote Desktop sessions, so I need to reduce every bit of friction I can for them.

I’ve seen complaints from some people on the forum about TE being unstable, but I’ve been using it for close to a decade and never had any issues.

1 Like

I use TextExpander all day long. Here are some good use cases for me. I work as a tour manager for a band. Part of that is my booking all the travel etc. Having to enter in Frequent flyer numbers, passport numbers, Trusted traveler numbers etc. I made snippets for the 15-20 people in our bubble’s numbers. So, if we have someone named John Smith, then:

JSUA = John Smith United Number
JSDL = John Smith Delta Number
JSPP = John Smith Passport Number
JSTT = John Smith Trusted Traveller Number

I am booking hundreds of flights every week, and this saves me loads of time.

Same with doing gig advances, peoples phone numbers, schedules, payrolls, all of it is snippeted now, and well worth the effort.

1 Like

Very interesting approach. Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

When I was job hunting, some years ago, I used a parameterized TE snipped to send thank you letters within minutes of ending a job interview.

Very nice!

When a new employee gets remote access, I send them an email customized with their user name and the name of their workstation filled in, not just a generic “Your Name Here” email. Many of my colleagues chose a career involving work with autistic children, and never expected to need to learn the ins and outs of VPNs and Remote Desktop sessions, so I need to reduce every bit of friction I can for them.

Awesome and good on them for the work they’re doing. :heart:

Indeed I can see the utility there!
And a unique and cool scenario too :slight_smile:

Is it just me. I feel both +SUN and -SUN both expand to the same format.

Sorry, I was unclear. It’s not just the format, it’s also the “date math”:

+SUN and +sun both expand to next Sunday, in their respective formats.

-SUN and -sun both expand to last Sunday, in their respective formats.

(To answer your next {potential} question, if I trigger it on a Sunday, it returns next Sunday’s date.)