Reasons to move from Scrivener

There’s a Take Control book, always a good starting point.
But have you done the included tutorial? I find it shows you most of the app’s capabilities. Then it’s an open ended tool - I find that it’s more a matter of designing your workflow around what you truly need from it than learning the app itself. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

How are you using iCloud with Scivener ? Are you using projects directly on iCloud or syncing zipped copies ?

This discussion did not cover the possibility of using Scrivener and Obsidian together with Scrivener’s sync to external folder capability.

Obsidian and links - #9 by Niran - Other Software & Development - Literature & Latte Forums

3 Likes

Yes, using iCloud directly with the project but it’s crucial to uncheck optimize storage on all machines. Otherwise your project will become corrupted. And I’m only working on Macs.

thanks…

David Hewson’s got one: https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Novel-Scrivener-David-Hewson-ebook/dp/B004ZG7BMU

The best advice in it was to not try to use all of scrivener. Just cherry-pick the stuff that gets you moving, then add on more features if you find you need them.

2 Likes

Thank you! I basically do. I have been using Scrivener for years and just using what I need although I am sure that there are so many features I am not employing.

I want to write more in earnest so I thought through learning it I might be able to enhance my writing.

How did you get the markdown conventions to work? I use sync to external folder (with Dropbox, but I might switch to iCloud since I have more storage there). However, I haven’t been able to grok how to get markdown to compile down to rtf-based formatting for Vellum. I also use Voice Dream Writer in the text files to get some amazing spoken text editing done.

For basic use, all you should have to do is choose these options in Compile

This should give you headings, links, bold, italics, tables, bullets and numbered lists etc. (It also does footnotes, but I don’t think RTF has those — you’d have to use another compilation format for them.)

i.e. the Scrivener document above produces

Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 08.03.36

(NB: I don’t have Vellum, so this is TextEdit, and I’ve not made any effort to format the fonts / paragraphs etc, which you do in the normal way through the other compilation settings — this is just a quick test…)

This is only the basic usage: you can use Scrivener styles to get very much more complicated, but then you’d probably be compiling to Latex, not RTF. (The Scrivener manual is essentially Scrivener Markdown → customised Latex workflow.)

Are you seeing something different?

3 Likes

Do you or does anyone else happen to know how much his Scrivener book overlaps with his Ulysses book? ‎Writing A Novel with Ulysses on Apple Books

Sorry for the late reply – hectic few days. I see that I do not have those options set in my compile window. Thinking back, I remember experimenting with them in the past and then disabling them. I think the wrinkle/issue I had was with return tripping from my iOS text-to-voice application – I think. I’ll dig into it some more and see if I actually did try these settings and what my issue might have been.

Thanks for the assist, and sorry for my delay.