Refurbished Apple Watch

Any recommendations for places to buy refurbished Apple Watches (apart from Apple)? I’m looking to give an Apple Watch a try, but I was hoping for a good price as a first tester. Thanks for the help.

I wouldn’t buy an Apple Watch 3, watchOS 9 drops support. The SE looks like decent value for money. You can always upgrade if you use it more than you expect.

1 Like

You could also just one from Apple Store and test it for a couple of days. You can return it if you don’t like it.

2 Likes

I see them show up on Woot! occasionally. This site lists some places you might find one.

Since the Apple Watch is being discussed, does anyone know about the new feature of the Watch which can track Atrial Fibrillation? Is that tied to the operating system or might I need a new Apple Watch? I think I have the Apple Watch 5. (It’s a couple of years old.)

Here is an article about that from Apple Support

1 Like

I think you’re talking about this @Katie, announced last week by Apple as part of watchOS9

Nothing has been said about Hardware that I’ve seen, but it’s not being announced alongside hardware and there are no asterixes so it may be for all AW4/SE or above. But we’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like

I was considering getting the SE as my trial watch since it does seem good value. Thanks for your thoughts.

1 Like

I never remember about return policies like that. Thanks.

I would not recommend Apple Watch or other wearable as being meaningfully helpful in diagnosing or monitoring atrial fibrillation. This is from 2019 but I am not aware of anything newer that is credible or more optimistic.

No, RKaplan, I did have similar problems and was thinking the watch might assist me in being cognizant of what may be occurring. The FDA, I believe, apparently approved it though.

1 Like

FDA granted a 510(k) via “substantial equivalence.” We do not know what device it was felt to be substantially equivalent to. A 510(k) does not mean the FDA has found that it is accurate for diagnosis or for any other specific purpose.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfpmn/pmn.cfm?ID=K213971

1 Like

I don’t think any watch type device would be comparable with the best heart monitors in hospitals, but as something which is on your body all of the time, it has a better chance of picking up anomalies which you can then get professionally reviewed.

4 Likes

I agree, I have both an AW and a Garmin and any of the data I get from them are "indicators’ only.
When my wife asks me how I slept last night I look at my watch and say “pretty good … apparently!” :wink:

1 Like

I got my wife one. She wasn’t particularly keen on it but used it to humour me!

About a year ago she was getting a strange feeling in her chest. I got her to take an ECG with the watch and it showed her in Atrial Fibrillation. This happened on an off for a while.

Eventually she went to the doctor and showed him the ECG. I thought they’d laugh but instead said, “That’s fine, we’ve found this to be very accurate” and took it seriously. They sent her for tests and it was AF!

So our experience is very positive but I guess there are other examples where it doesn’t always show AF so accurately. Needless to say my wife now loves her watch!

4 Likes

I just thought it would be a good thing to have. it could pick up a problem. I wouldn’t expect it to always be accurate.

4 Likes

I have an SE and absolutely adore it. First, I can easily see the time (visually disabled). Siri can read the screen to me for texts, etc I use the timer all the time for all kinds of things. I can control my mom’s HomePod while I’m doing other things. I get texts telling me about grocery deliveries without having to stop what I’m doing to check my phone. I bought it at about $50.00 off via the 'zon.

2 Likes

As I mentioned, Woot has refurbished Apple Watches on sale for today only. They have Series 3 to 6 available.

2 Likes