Reliable iOS mail client recommendations

They had serious issues under previous ownership several years ago, true. The paid email tier offers privacy an no ads (unlike gmail). And I don’t know of any large-scale free email service that doesn’t scan and target or sell anonymized data, aside from Apple. (And .me email has its own issues)

Never tried Canarymail. I heard it has a kind of “bare bones” UI.

I really think I will give Apple Mail a try once they get some of the bugs squashed. It’s pretty basic compared to what I’m used to, but hopefully I can find some extensions that will make it at least serviceable. We’ll see!

I’m amazed at the masses who still use Gmail. Google doesn’t even pretend to offer user security. They clearly tell users in their EULA and TOS that they are monitoring all use of their services - allegedly for targeted marketing! But still millions of users love Gmail and all of Googles other ”free” services.

1 Like

Same here. All my (many) personal domain email flows into Yahoomail, and I make heavy use of alt email addresses that look nothing like my main yahoo address.

(I also have a grandfathered-in free Gsuite email account, and occasionally use my .me/.icloud email)

With that Gsuite email, does it still reside on Googles email servers or do you choose your own server when you purchase the plan?

I don’t trust Google at all…but that is a personal decision!

I know only about two iOS mail apps that do not share your credentials (meaning they do not leave your device). Apple Mail and Canary Mail. All other apps I know of do it. Canary Mail has more features so I am currently trying it. However, Canary Mail had some technical issues in the past and a lot of people were not happy about their customer support. But the new version looks good so far and I hope I will be able to stick with it.

1 Like

I may take a look at it. I am curious now.

Yeah, the disposable addresses, as Yahoo calls them, are a great tool to use when trying to avoid spam. And their default spam filter is surprisingly good.

It’s not as good as something like Spam Sieve, but for a free, built-in filter I find it does a quite good job.

Turn off push notifications and you should have a decently private mail app :slight_smile:

We’ve discussed this previously. Check out this thread:

1 Like