Remoting in to Mac Mini

Strange question and looking for technical help from those more capable…

I have a Mac mini as my main machine. I use it fine at home but when out and about I try to use iPad only.

I have it set up that I can remote in to my Mac mini which works really well for the odd occasion I need it for something.

The minor issue I have is that my Mac mini runs through egpu to a monitor set to 2560 x 1440 (?).

When I remote in the resolution on my iPad is really small as the system thinks is through the monitor.

Is there a script or program that I could run to temporarily change it to suit the iPad whilst remotely connected. I use screens as the app to do it all, it could be as simple as a setting I’ve missed, but any thoughts appreciated. It’s not a massive issue but a small gripe that I’m guessing someone has dealt with before.

Cheers.

What app do you use on your iPad to remote into your Mini?

I use Jump and there is an option to change the resolution so it matches the iPad/iPhone. Maybe worth a try if your current app doesn’t already let you do this.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s currently screens I use as found it quick and easy. I used jump before a good few years back, might revisit it.

Screens should let you pinch to zoom on the iPad—I use that feature all the time. Get to the area you want, then zoom in. Much easier to click on small objects and even read text.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I currently use and it works no problem, was just to find a simpler solution. Thank you for taking the time to suggest.

There is a secret, and I will share it with you. Here it is:

Plug that into the HDMI port on your Mac mini and it will think there is a “real” monitor attached, which means that macOS will give you the usual controls for various resolutions you can use.

There are two options:

1. CompuLab Display Emulator (fit-Headless) – Supports up to 1080p resolution. ($8.50)

2. CompuLab 4K Display Emulator (fit-Headless 4K) – Supports 30 different resolutions from 800x600 up to 4088x2304 ($9.50)

The 1080p one might be sufficient, but the 4K version is only $1 more.

I believe there are other options, and they might work fine, but I’ve been using one of the 4K models since 2014 and it has never given me any issues, so I can recommend this brand specifically. (YMMV, of course.)

2 Likes

I bought one of these (the 1080p version) 6 years ago for my Mini server. It has worked well. Nice price drop, it was $15 back then!

Yeah I heard about these on the mpu Mac mini episode. Seems a good idea. My understanding was that it was if you were running it headless, I assumed it would cause me a problem s as I use main system when I’m at home?

Perfect that’s the type of solution I figured must be about. I’ll try jump desktop and or this when home.

Thanks

I bet keyboard maestro could help change the resolution before it sleeps, or after a certain period of time, or during certain hours of the day. Or with a keyboard shortcut that could easily be typed once the remote connection is made.

That’s also a great idea and I have it running. I didn’t get a chance to look last night so will try this too. Thank you.