Renaming Startup Drive

I’m wanting to rename my startup drive from the standard Macintosh HD to something personalized. I’ve been using this Mac for a couple years now. By doing that will I cause any issues in running it or should it be fine?

Renaming it will not cause a problem.

Having said that I would avoid special characters other than a dash or underscore. The same as naming/renaming files & folders.

1 Like

WayneG’s warning is probably good guidance to be on the safe side, but I can confirm that I’ve renamed my HD multiple times and it has had zero noticeable effect on anything.

I think the only thing you’d need to be aware of is if you use any AppleScripts which include a path which includes the name of your hard drive. Nothing else uses it, as far as I am aware.

1 Like

When I replaced my spinning drive with a SSD I changed the name to Macintosh SSD. Been that way for years.

1 Like

In our household we have a naming scheme for Macs, their internal hard disks and the external hard disks. We never leave them as Macintosh HD. I had a drive named after an Icelandic volcano with umlauts in the name. No issues.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. There was an old stack overflow thread that made me unsure. I think this is why someone warned against it.

1 Like