Replacing my MacBook Pro with an Apple Watch 😉

That video is an effective summary of the state of things. As I wrote elsewhere, the only way to move down the funnel towards iPad nirvana is by finding and stitching together a variety of “modes.”

Ergo, moving down the funnel often requires, as we saw with bmosbacker’s review, changing the way you work. Sometimes these changes can be simple, and sometimes they can be significant. Sometimes they may be limiting, and sometimes they may be freeing.

However and unfortunately, it follows that the only way to actually figure out what you need to change is by spending a lot of money on devices and accessories and then a lot of time moving down the funnel and testing those modes.

Falling in love with and becoming an iPad “power user” can therefore be quite arduous, and if you put in the work only to get squeezed out of the funnel after a significant investment, that investment becomes quite the waste.

So, after falling in love, leaving the funnel is a bit breaking up with someone. You still love many things about the device — the principles highlighted in the original post, all of which I agree with! — but you can’t make it work because the device refuses to change in other key ways.

(That turned into a weird metaphor…)

And so I will pet the already-happy horse again: the iPad seems to be not-changing largely because of business pressures associated with the App Store and design paternalism, and it is a shame that iPad advocates seem to be apologizing on Apple’s behalf for those excuses and telling people to stop complaining, because fixing the problems with the iPad would make the device better for those in iPad nirvana, too.

1 Like