Restore iPhone without update

Just “setup as new phone” don’t work?

This website provides the links to those firmware images: https://ipsw.me

But please note that you cannot install any image you like. iTunes will connect to an Apple server to check whether Apple allows the installation of that image.

At the time of writing Apple only approves installing iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone 6.

URL for what file?
I’m trying to restore the iPhone to factory defaults

I’m not trying to install any os, just restore the drive to factory defaults

How do you get it into that state?

–> 7. After your device restores to factory settings, it restarts. Now you can set it up as new.

I will try it right now with my phone. :wink:

Don’t?!

Step 6 mentions this: Then iTunes erases your device and installs the latest iOS or iPod software.

I thought you did not want that?

1 Like

Which 3 methods did you already use?

If your phone still works try this:

Yes. But if you use iMazing and download the appropriate .ipsw you can erase and restore it to that version. iTunes doesn’t give you that option.

Here’s a guide - by Kirk McElhearn:

https://imazing.com/guides/how-to-reinstall-or-restore-ios-on-a-malfunctioning-iphone-or-ipad

1 Like

URL for the ipsw containing the version of iOS that you want on your device.

iTunes also can do that, but it’s a bit hidden; you need to hold the Option (on Mac) or Shift (on Windows) key:

Whichever method you choose, you can only install what Apple allows (currently iOS 11.4.1 only).

But iTunes gives you also the option to setup as new.

aid4442210-v4-728px-Connect-a-New-Device-to-iTunes-Step-3-Version-3

Indeed, but in your first post you asked help for restoring, which usually includes getting data back. Setting it up as a new device means starting from scratch.

What’s your end goal?

You’re missing the point, I can’t get it restored without updating the OS.
I dont want to update the OS

thanks.

I’ve found a solution whic doesn’t involve iTunes, initially.
There is a an option under Settings, General, that allows me to erase all data. Settings, General, erase and reset all settings.

Then I restored the phone from the latest backup, using iTunes.

But how did you get to this step???

That was the first method I tried. The webpage is out of date.
Itunes only allows restoring thee factory defaults in addition to updating the OS (which I don’t want to do).

This is the first time I’ve heard of Ipsw files.

Is that the same as I suggested earlier?

If not, what was different?

Maybe I misunderstood. I didn’t use iTunes for the erase, nor did I use any ipsw files.