Returned Mac Studio

Bummer about the lightning strikes! Were the minis on surge protectors at the time? If so, did you test out the surge protector manufacturer’s guarantee or whatever that they’ll cover the cost of damaged equipment if something’s lost while connected to it? (I’ve always wondered whether those guarantees hold any water or if they’re just marketing gimmicks that have more loopholes than substance.)

They were. And the guaranteed got me a new surge protector.

They claimed that the surge came through a different channel, i.e. the cable line and not the electrical line. Ok. I’ll accept that for why the cable modem was fried. But not the Mini. But it was to no avail.

I now have a whole house breaker. And use a different vendor for my surge protection. And the cable line goes through a protector as well. Not that I have any confidence in any guarantees.

So in my experience they are marketing fluff.

Interesting. A lot of refurbished Mac Studios have just showed up in the German Refurbished Store. Most of them M1 Max.

This is pretty early given the limited availability and the fact that the Studio did only launch in March/April.

I have not expected them showing up there that early.

For sure!!! The single core performance is amazing and the multi core performance is mindblowing. The Mac Studio is THE Mac built for rendering and purposes like that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I figure some are returning the Studios since their monitors are taking forever to ship. :slight_smile:

But it totally made sense! One fills in the obvious gaps as I assume you did at some level, 'like a knife through…" and merges it with the concept or trope of “flying through a task”. Useful example for me as a linguist really.

3 Likes

This is maybe the kindest thing anybody has ever said to me on the internet.

5 Likes

I had to go back and reread everything that prompted you to say that, and it’s led me to coin a new phrase that I will endeavour to use at least once every day, “Like flies through butter.” :grin:

6 Likes

I just did the same. :slight_smile: That’s one I’m gonna start using!

Thank you @snelly :raised_hands:

3 Likes

I am sure you know the linguistic classic “Time flies like an arrow” and it’s secondary possible meaning.

1 Like

And of course, “Fruit flies like a banana”.

5 Likes

This article measured the Apple Mac Studio M1 Max at 28.8 dB(A).

It points out

The top half of the Mac Studio is completely taken up by the cooling system, which consists of two fans and a huge heat sink. We didn’t experience any irritating fan noise in our review unit as some reports have mentioned, but the two fans always run at a constant 1,300 rpm. This is definitely impressive since it doesn’t change even after an hour of maximum load (SoC temperature ~78 °C (~172 °F)), but we’re not sure if this would really be necessary even under light load, especially in a direct comparison with the MacBook Pro 16 M1 Max, which frequently runs silently. An optional power-saving mode like on the MBP, which resulted in the fans being deactivated, would have certainly been useful here. Although the constant noise is by no means annoying at just under 29 dB(A), it’s audible, and with such an efficient chip, the constant noise comes across as a bit unnecessary.

My idea! Unfortunately the current situation is not very clear. Will there be an M2 MM? And if so, when?

The 16GB MM should be enough for me. But still I’d rather have 24GB, just in case. Would be too bad if I now bought an M1 and the M2 appeared in a month or so.

M2 MM? For sure. When? Who knows? Hopefully this year. Maybe early next year. I am not sure, if there is anybody at his point who knows 100% when the release date will be. I was hoping for a new Mac Mini in April and in June. I will keep waiting for the M2 MM to materialize (2022 or 2023). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got mine after waiting and waiting. Probably 3 weeks old now. 16GB version and 512GB SSD. No regrets. Not a power user (probably shouldn’t even be here! :wink: )

2 Likes

You can be a power user without having the need for more than 16GB memory. :wink:

My current MBP has 16GB of RAM too. And that has been perfectly fine so far. Although a bit limited when running Windows VM’s. But you can’t do that on Apple Silicon anyway (sure, the ARM version, but that’s not what I’m looking for).

1 Like

save myself some money