Review of the OmniFocus Field Guide, Third Edition

A belated thanks for this fine review!

I’ve long been on the fence about OF, which seems the Rolls Royce of task/project managers, but is of course also rather costly. I’ve been through many other apps and tools - Todoist, TickTick, 2Do and Things, to name but a few - but have always looked longingly at OmniFocus.

Anyway, this review, Rose’s book and Davids field guide have finally pushed me over the edge - and as a Christmas bonus (I’m a ‘free agent’ with my own one-man company) I have decided to gift myself the whole suite of OF apps. I have a nice boss :sunglasses::money_with_wings:

I’m going to use the Christmas break to check it out and set it up, using the 14 day trial, and then decide if I want to stay with OF and whether I’ll buy the apps or wait for the subscription plan. We’ll see.

So, any advice for setting it up initially - other than the great resources mentioned above, of course - will be much appreciated

2 Likes

That you do! I hope you enjoy using them. (In case you don’t know, OmniGroup also has a user forum for talking to other users of their products at discourse.omnigroup.com - very useful to see how other people accomplish things!)

3 Likes

These books are guidelines rather than a “this is how it should be done” kind of book. No book can assess one’s needs accurately. Another option is to join @timstringer’s fabulous Learn OmniFocus

Tim is a personal coach who offers sessions with other members to engage in personal productivity practices, OmniFocus, and other apps. I believe he is also well verses in other apps as well. That will be an alternative to the books.

I read the books and take the parts that work for me. See which part of the various books you’ve bought resonate with you and you will be able to create your own workflow. Everyone has different needs and will require different parts. There will be many parts that you will not use because you don’t need them right now. My favorite Bruce Lee quote sums it up best.

4 Likes