Reviewing my subscriptions $

Where do you stop then?

Cellular, electricity, water, insurances, bank account, mortgage/rent, magazines, newspapers, …

(I guess those make up at least 80% of my recurring costs)

There’s a few mentions of Fantastical in people’s ‘Essentials’ column. I’ve tried it a few times and found it nice but not compelling.

What makes it essential for you?

It was a joke. (We both use the Bobby app to track subscriptions.)

1 Like

Ah, I did not get the joke. Silly me…

Permanent:

1Password
Amazon Prime
Google Drive
Google Workspace

Semi permanent:

Backblaze B2
Due
ICloud
Instapaper
Microsoft 365
Tripit Pro (under review)
Tweetbot
YouTube Premium
Windy

Flavor of the month:

ParamountPlus

AppleTV+ when a new season of Ted Lasso is available.

I have accounts on most of the major streaming services and jump in an out as their content changes. It’s kind of like the old days when you would look through the newspaper and pick a movie to see on the weekend. I dropped Netflix in 2020 and they still haven’t added anything I care to watch.

Interesting review from everyone.

Here’s my list:

Essential
Amazon Prime
Sam’s Club (wish we had a Costco but this is a tolerable alternative)
Mug Club at Paonia United Brewing, the local brewery
Kindle Unlimited
GoComics On-Line
Adobe Photographer
GitKraken
Google Drive extra space used for file sharing
GoDaddy domain names and C-Panel hosting of a bunch of sites
Highlights Pro
PyCharm Pro
StrongBox Pro
Banktivity Silver
Barn2Door & Avalara
FoodNoms
CleanMyMac
Obsidian Publish - used for the AnimalTrakker manual/help
National Geographic
Graze Magazine
On-Pasture web site member access
Shepherd Magazine
Stockman Grass Farmer Magazine
Milk Street Magazine
Real Simple Magazine - my guilty pleasure
Delta County Independent - local weekly newspaper both print and on-line sub

In Transition
Elevate Internet Currently 2 separate 150 Mbps services (main and guest house) for $60 each Moving to a single shared 1GB service for $80 as soon as the radio link between house and guest house is up and running
Netflix, currently a DVD and Streaming plan going to drop the DVD and perhaps the streaming too soon

Evaluating
Back Country Magazine
Focus Podcast
Garden Planner On-line memebrship
Grassroots
MacSparky Early Access
Obsidian Sync It is very tempting to implement as I move more into Obsidian but the cloud issues concern me still

Going Away
Apple TV+
MindNode
Café Press

1 Like

Overcast is a great app and you can easily use the free version. The ads are very unobtrusive and some people actually keep them on in the pay version because they are relevant. The reason why I would pay is to have the ability to upload audio files and play them within Overcast.

3 Likes

You win. I had to turn my iPP vertical to see the entire post. I’m never going to complain about subscriptions again. :grinning:

Wow, where do you find the time to consume all those subscriptions?

The print magazines are important for the farm, most of the SW is necessary for the LambTracker and AnimalTrakker development, Barn2Door is the on-line farm store SW with the tax calculations via Avalara

I typically only access a few forums, a few weather sites and check on-line news once a day for half n hour and that is all BTW News sites are BBC, Reuters, and the Colorado Sun. TV is only entertainment in the evenings. I read a LOT of books hence the Kindle Unlimited subscription.

To me it’s not that many when I see the long lists of SW that others are using. I added in all sorts of subscription types that not evenone had included.

1 Like

I’ve also canceled Netflix.

1 Like

THX for mentioning the Bobby App.
It could be the App, I’m looking for for a long time…

2 Likes

Essential:
iCloud
1Password
Adobe CC
Office 365
1 Blocker
Amazon Prime
Parallels Desktop
Setapp

Quit:
Apple Fitness
Apple Match (switched to Apple Music)

Never had:
Netflix or else.

I love threads like this. Here is mine:

Essential (just in order they appear in my budget, not order of priority!)

• Apple Music
  • iCloud (though I’ve downgraded in the last year and moved most my files out of iCloud)
  • Momentum Plus (not really “essential”, but I’ve enjoyed the daily photos during the pandemic and have renewed for another year)
  • Carrot Weather (I live in England. Our weather changes hourly, and the BBC forecast is basically no better than sticking your hand out the window)
  • private email (I’d intended to trial this then leave gmail entirely - 4 years later and I’ve still not actually done that)
  • Spypoint (3G subscription for a wildlife camera to send images to my phone in real time)
  • Amazon Prime (for the shipping more than the tv)
  • 1x enewsletter subscription (specific to my profession)
  • Clean My Mac

Considering cutting

• You Need A Budget (renewed at Christmas during their price increase fiasco, so I won’t review this until 2023)
  • Todoist (I’m not sure I get my money’s worth, but equally I’m not sure I’ll find to-do list nirvana anywhere else either)
  • VPN (now that I’m using iCloud’s private relay I’m not really sure I need a VPN too)
  • Netflix (I’m not really considering cutting, but my family shares membership across 2 households and Netflix have again been threatening to crack down on this - we won’t stay if they do)

Will be cutting

• Plan to Eat (meal planning app. I’ve used it maybe once. I’ve decided to just accept chaos instead.)
  • MyFitnessPal (same as above. I can’t/won’t plan meals and just need to accept this.)
  • Pocket (I thought I’d like the premium Archive and tagging function and full text search but I don’t use it so will switch back to free version)

Might add

• I will soon be losing my work access to Office365. I’m pondering a subscription as I don’t think I can live without Excel.

Good point. I might swap to the free version.

My Current Subscriptions

• AT&T TV & Internet
  • Apple One
  • Amazon Prime (but sold all of my echos)
  • Hulu
  • Ulysses
  • 1PW 8
  • Backblaze
  • Readwise
  • MS Office (temporary until book completed)
  • Bookends (temporary until book completed)
  • Tripit Pro (paid by employer)

Canceled:

• MindNode
  • Fantastical
  • Drafts Pro
  • Carrot Weather
  • Netflix
  • Disney+
  • Highlights
  • The Weather Channel
  • Unread
  • Obsidian Publish

Undecided

• Craft

Essential

• Microsoft 365 Business
  • Google Workspace (for generous storage and the ability to host email for multiple domains mostly)
  • Todost
  • Fantastical
  • Apple Music
  • iCloud
  • Grammarly
  • Craft (planning to move everything over from Bear)
  • FlightRadar 24
  • SiteGround hosting

Under Review

• Parcel
  • MindNode (love it but not using it nearly as much as I thought I would)
  • Bear (mostly due to glacially slow development, I don’t think we’ll get 2.0 in this decade)
  • Ulysses (I often use it to write and love it, but somehow feel most of the new features are geared towards bloggers, while the stuff I could actually use, like tables, has been talked about and not being delivered for 4 years at this point), I’m more or less equally happy using iA Writer
  • Parallels Desktop (not using it enough to justify a subscription, love playing around with other OSes but it’s not something I actually need much)

Cancelled

• Netflix
  • Deliveries (following the current issues)
  • Dashlane (moved everything over to Bitwarden)
  • Linkedin (might come back but still not sure about the value after having been paying for it for 2 years)
  • Apple Arcade
  • Apple TV+ (mostly for the fact that it is not officially available where I live so I got tired of using a secondary Apple ID just to watch it every now and then)
  • Halide Camera (it’s a great app but I was simply not using it much)

Yes! I thought it was only me. We started watching Yellowstone (on Stan here is Australia) It’s probably a great show but I’m watching it and say to the wife: “Do we want this violence and conflict in our home?” Yes, I know it’s only a TV show. And so on with all the crime shows etc.

She still watches them, I go read in the library! :joy:

1 Like

Unfortunately, Yellowstone is a Saturday morning kids show compared to a lot of what passes for entertainment these days.

2 Likes

At first I thought I had the wrong show. And yes, I agree! I’ve been thinking lately if people live their lives vicariously through TV and movies. But this is a thread about subscriptions not philosophy! :wink:

1 Like