RSS Readers on iOS

I used Mr Reader (RIP), and then switched back to Reeder, which is OK. Now I’m trying Fiery Feeds, which is pretty good. I may buy in.

I subscribe to FeedWrangler, which has a hideous iOS app and equally hideous web app. I’ve subscribed for several years just to be a backend, but when my year’s up in July, I’m switching. I’m open to suggestions for a new back end.

I quit reading RSS on Mac back when the iPad came out. It’s so perfect for it.

I’m generally unhappy with all RSS readers. I guess nothing will top NetNewsWire for Mac, back when Brent Simmons owned and developed it.

1 Like

I’ve been using Feedly on my iPhone and iPad for a long time – and through my browser on the Mac. I don’t have enough exposure to other products to know where it lies on the great<—>awful scale, but I have been pretty happy with it.

For a couple years I used NewsBlur then gave up RSS to try and use Twitter – not a great idea. I recently heard that Inoreader and Feedbin will import Twitter feeds as RSS and I was sold.

I trialled both services, and I think I’m decided on Feedbin. I don’t often need to use the web interface, but when I do, Feedbin looks and works great for both reading and customisation. I also like that it auto-expands linked content from Twitter feeds (great for images, text less-so but still nice), doesn’t include replies by default and can be set to only show tweets with media or links.

Inoreader is powerful but has a clunky interface, particularly on iPad. If you don’t use all the power user features, though, it can be cheaper than Feedbin.

:dart:

2 Likes

Feedly app on ios, feedly www site on Mac. Also ex-NNW user.

Using Feedly as the backend (and have been, ever since Google Reader went away). Frontend is currently Reeder. Have been trying a bunch of RSS apps but none of them really stuck with me. The true dark mode and the fact that you can fit a lot of information on one screen, is what keeps me in Reeder.

Inoreader. iOS app and browser for Mac and Windows. Almost instant updates between platforms. All kinds of features with premium, which is pretty reasonable if you’re really into RSS. Limited free version, but enough to give you a good sense of its abilities.

2 Likes

I still have that set up (Reeder on iPhone / Mr Reader on the iPad)… Am I the only one at this point still using Mr Reader??? :smiley: :smiley: I can’t let it go. The only feature I truly miss is the split screen.

New entrant coming soon: looks really sharp, although there’s no info here: https://elytra.app

1 Like

Are there any iOS reader apps that let you view a collection of feeds as a simple list of headlines (i.e. no preview text)? I’m left scratching my head as most of the product pages linked here do not have any screenshots of that part of the interface.

For now, I’m using Miniflux, which is a small web app that lets me organize feeds into categories and read a list of the aggregated headlines for each category. The web app is ‘responsive’ so it has a clean mobile layout, although the included swipe gestures can interfere with scrolling. I still use it because, well, I can browse through a list of headlines without any preview text, which is something I’ve so far been unable to do with every native app I’ve tried.

The fetching/parsing for Miniflux is done with a server app that you can either run on your own server, or pay the developer $15/year to host.

I use Newsify on my iPhone and iPad with a Feedly backend.

Freedly in iOS and Feedly webapp in MacOS and Windows.

The only app that I’ve used recently that allows this is lire. Unread, Reeder and Fiery Feeds all seem to show article previews at all times.

Edit: Hmm I tried to reply to @nostodnayr’s reply to @remmah but it doesn’t look like I clicked the right Reply button. Sorry!

Fiery Feeds has a List Style preset for this called Headlines under Settings (go to an account and select the gear cog in upper-right) > Appearance > List Style:

JPEG%20image-EC105AF65B97-1

The list will then look like this:

IMG_3571

You can turn off feed icons if you want an even more uncluttered list (Settings > Article List > Show Feed Icon).

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up about Fiery Feeds allowing for a headline-only mode. Unfortunately the app doesn’t seem to accept an OPML list of feeds, and I don’t have any of the services listed, so I’ll have to wait to try it out until I can get my OPML into one of the supported services.

I use the web version of Feedly on my Mac and Linux desktop. On iOS I use Unread. I wish I could search for keywords in the app; otherwise I’m happy with it.

FYI, lire let’s you import from an OPML file and, as others have mentioned, can show just the headings in the article list.

I love The Changelog. Thanks for sharing.

Inoreader backend, Unread on iOS, Reeder on Mac. If I need to do some tinkering I go to the Inoreader website:

Inoreader is extremely customizable which I really like… I subscribe to Inoreader which is a good investment if you have a lot of feeds.

1 Like

Thanks! Went ahead and bought lire and working out well so far. I’m glad we still got options for RSS readers nowadays. After moving away from Twitter/GoogleNews and back to RSS, it’s been a breath of fresh air as to how much more in control I am of how I get my news and hear from people I care about.

1 Like

I settled on Feedly years ago. They offer the best service (at the time) and, for a short time, sold a lifetime pro membership that I bought.

I use the Feedly web app on my Mac with a plugin to open tabs in the background with a hotkey. When I skim through the headlines, anything that looks interesting is opened as a background tab. Once I’ve gotten through the feeds, I read the tabs.

On the iPhone and iPad I use Fiery Feeds. It’s the app that comes close to Mr. Reader (RIP). I’d use the official Feedly app but they insist on a single page at a time scrolling and their dark mode is horrible.

Ben