RSS Readers on iOS

Feeddler does this; it’s the main reason I use it.

I’ve exclusively used Reeder with Feedly for a backend as long as I can remember. Ever since moving to the 2018 iPad Pro going through articles on Reeder has become cumbersome. Oh my old 10.5” iPad Pro I could scroll through with the arrow keys in the middle pane with the previews changing in the right pane. On the 2018 it expands the article pane full screen which I don’t like.
So here’s my question, does anyone have a recommendation for an iPad RSS reader with good keyboard support (Apple keyboard case) in particular?

I use the web version of feedly on the mac and then the app on iOS…just wish they’d enable keyboard shortcuts on the iPad.

1 Like

First started using Net News Wire many moons ago. Have bounded around with different RSS: GoogleReader, FeedWrangler and NewsBlur. I have settled on TinyTinyRSS on hosted MacMini at Mac Stadium.

I use the web interface on MacOS but don’t love it. I mainly read on iOS and again have used them all but settled on FieryFeeds, the dev is super response and it’s loaded with lots of features

Reeder on the iPhone but I will keep using Mr Reader on the iPad until it no longer works.

I know I’ll one day have to give it up, though. One of the things I really lilked about Mr Reader was the ability to create custom actions that could be run on articles in your feed. With the current zeal for automation on iOS, have any of the other RSS apps done anything similar?

News on this front (pun intended?) several months ago I stumbled over a new entrant, who’s super bought into the Apple eco-system: iOS, Watch, Mac and AppleTV app! No subscription web service… direct download to your device, then sync across devices via iPad. Sensible and minimal Apple-like UI. To me, the clear winner in the RSS reading space right now is…

News Explorer!

News Explorer by Ron Elemans

I’d tell you the price, but it’s invisible to you once you buy it, which drives me mad.

One time purchase for the iOS, Watch & Apple TV app. Mac app, which I haven’t used, is a separate app. I stopped using RSS on the Mac with the advent of the iPad, the perfect device for it. One less distraction on my work Mac. (If you subscribe to SetApp, it’s available there.)

Unread in iOS; backend is using Newsblur as news… so, in the Mac, I use NewsBlur in Safari to read. What I like about Newsblur is the ability to train to show me news that I like.

Did anyone hear/read anything recently about Reeder 4?

(I probably keep on using Unread on iOS, but I do use Reeder on macOS)

I continue to contribute to the RSS reader economy! I think I own them all… now, as of last night, News Explorer.

Maybe I’m a creature of habit, but nothing (including News Explorer) can replace Reeder for me on iPad. There is one key feature in Reeder that seemingly no other app includes (with the exception of Mr. Reader).

In either landscape or portrait orientation, Reeder provides a multi column view that includes unread subscriptions organized within folders. I find this the fastest and most logical way to review unread articles. Mr. Reader offers a similar layout, though I prefer Reeder’s 3 column view.

The following shows examples. Mr. Reader on top, Reeder on bottom. The organization by folder by feed is the most intuitive way for me to quickly review new things. — jay

I prefer Reeder on iOS but News Explorer has an excellent Apple Watch app so I’ve been using it lately. I wish News Explorer integrated with Inoreader, though, and also that the watch app had a simple launch complication.

I also use NewsBlur. on my iPhone I have Reeder and Unread, can’t decide which I prefer - but I often backslide and just use the NewsBlur app because, as you noted, it surfaces exclusive ‘groups’ that 3rd party RSS apps can’t access, like ‘Global Shared Stories’ and ‘The People Have Spoken’ popular stories, and ‘Infrequent Site Stories’ - which I find especially useful since I subscribe to nearly 1400 RSS feeds.

1 Like

I tried News Explorer last night on the recommendation above and as much as I’d prefer iCloud sync, I miss Feedly’s approach to folders, where the folder title & feeds with new messages appear, along with x more for those feeds that don’t currently have new messages. Much less cluttered than listing all the currently empty feeds.

My only complaint about the Newsblur iOS app is that their choice of font size is not very readable and somehow, the formatting of the articles are not so easy to the eyes. It’s the reason why I kept falling back onto Unread app. Now, if only Newsblur has API that allows third-party front end app to use to build these special features. That will be really nice.

I had been using Reeder for years but gave up on it. After a 2 months with Newsify and Feedly on the backend I have no plans to go back to Reeder. No reason. As much as I had grown comfortable with Reeder I’ve found Newsify is a well designed, very easy to use app that seems to be updated far more often.

1 Like

I’m a happy Newsblur subscriber. I only open it on iPad, though, because I can’t process my feeds fast enough on iPhone. iPad is about as fast as macOS Safari for me. I’ll have to check out some of these other iPhone clients.

Yes, it’s tiny and the app isn’t very pretty. I tend to use RSS on iOS when I’m on the go and I rarely read many articles on my phone; instead, I’ll do triage and do lots of deletions, and send other articles to Pocket to read (later or on the phone, nicely formatted and saved in case I want to retain them on my Mac).

Happy to report that after a few weeks with News Explorer, I don’t miss Feedly, and the ads in the news articles I read are far more generic and less likely to reflect something I’d recently searched Google for. No doubt because my Feedly account was using my Google account (from the Google News days). But in any case, I’m happier having my data in iCloud and not going through any 3rd party service.

I’ve been using News Explorer now for about a month as well. It seems I go through my feeds faster and more efficiently than I did using my own hosted MacMini based RSS feed service, TinyTinyRSS with FieryFeeds on my iOS devices and using the web on MacOS.

News Explorer is working great and its part of SetApp

Same here. Been using News Explorer for about three weeks and I don’t miss feedly. (And I liked feedly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

dang wish I saw this msg about Newblur before I paid for it yesterday [simply for Twitter/Rss] only to be disappointed that it doesn’t do real time twitter updates… so I’m not sure if this a limitation due to the twitter API updates… i’m super bummed but I"m going to try Inoreader and Feedbin and report back.

If anyone knows any current solutions for twitter to RSS in a real time way please let me know

Thanks