Safe secure app to keep a copy of my Drivers License?

1Password is what i use for all of this, my wife and i have a shared vault so that we have each-others docs to hand (should something bad happen).

I would not trust some cheap encrypted file style app it will not have the dev time needed to keep things secure.

I’m testing Apple Notes for storing secured images of credit cards, front and back, in addition to storing the basic info in 1Password. Notes can be configured to not place images in Photos. (Unlike 1Password?). Notes can be locked and password protected.

1 Like

Are you suggesting that 1Password requires the images it stores to be in Photos? Or that it puts them there? That would be a Bad Thing.

This is on iOS (and I hope I’m not understanding something):

As far as I can tell, you add a photo to 1Password by creating a “Document” item in 1Password. And 1Password imports the document from Photos. There’s no access to the camera to create the photo in 1Password. So you take the photo of whatever, then flip over to 1Password to import it. Meanwhile, Photos could have sent that photo off to iCloud.

With Notes you set Settings > Notes > Media > Save to Photos == off (which I think is the default), take the image with the Camera, add text if you wish, then lock the note. The image is not stored in Photos.
\

I have the data in 1Password. Thinking that based on this thread I’ll add a photo of the items in my wallet too. Thanks for the tip.

Your suggestion is nice !

I happened to lose (twice) my wallet, but each time the police called me several hours later telling me some one found it (yes, I’m in a small swiss city). However, in case it get lost for real, I just have photos of ID card and driving license in photo.app album and also in Apple notes (I had also have a copy in Evernote as archive). I don’t consider these cards as sensitive, I’m OK with that, I don’t store them in any locked wallet.

The good thing is that, even if it’s not officially recognized as document, at least it help the authority with any informations on it.

I also use 1 Password for all of my IDs.

A lot of good suggestions, I use Lastpass and due to the added encryption sounds like a good secure option for me.

I dropped 1Password a while ago, since for me it was unnecessarily redundant in view of Keychain and secure Apple Notes. For me, Less apps = More Better :grin:

On that, I keep a folder of secure Apple Notes for travel documents, including my driver’s license, passport, global entry card, etc. Each item is a separate secure note and includes text of the relevant details plus a scan of the actual card. Remember, Notes lets you add either a photo or “scan” to each note, and it works great for this purpose. You can do the same with credit cards, insurance cards, etc.

Another vote for 1Password, though you can lock notes in Apple’s Notes app as well.

1 Like