ScanSnap Home (again?)

ScanSnap wants me to move to ScanSnap Home, which is weird b/c I’m pretty sure they pushed us from Home to ScanSnap Manager like 2 years ago. Has anyone switched to Home from Manager yet and if so what’s the difference? I have a ScanSnap ix1600 if that matters.

If I recall correctly, the push of the years has been to move off of Manager onto Home. It seems they will no longer support manager as of October 2024. See the last post on this old thread: Does anyone use ScanSnap Home software? - #90 by mmq

I have been using Home for years (for so long that I don’t remember the differences between Home and Manager). Home works fine for me but I have simple needs. All of my scans go to the ScanSnap Home folder where I rename and hold for awhile. At some point I move the scanned documents to other folders on my computer.

1 Like

The older program, ScanSnap Manager, was superseded by ScanSnap Home, and the move was forced years ago when 32 bit support was dropped by macOS. Eventually they updated Manager to 64-bit which was important for older ScanSnap models which would not run Home. For some people the older Manager was a better choice so they went back to Manager.

However, at least for me, the criticisms I had about Home have all been resolved by now (software bugs that took them over a year to fix and an insane licensing model) and I’m very happily using Home and wouldn’t consider Manager. Read the entire old thread mentioned above; I go off on the problems Home used to have.

Oh, yes, the major difference is that Home allows you to set up multiple scanner profiles (configurations) which you can easily select prior to the scan. I’ve got six different ones configured for the different scanning tasks I do.

2 Likes

Appreciate the input. I will check out the thread. I knew there was some transition recently that was discussed. Take care.

1 Like

Does home now support older scanners. I have an S1300 (I think) and it’s great, but I won’t be replacing it.

I don’t think so. They never added support for older models than when it originally came out. You will just have to continue using Manager. It will continue to run until a future macOS version is incompatible.

:pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :pensive:

Posts don’t like only Emoji

Manager currently does this. I have a few profiles set up in it.

I have an ix1600 and Home allows me to select the same profiles either from the ScanSnap screen or on the Mac. I’m not sure that Manager supports that. But there’s no reason to NOT use Home with the ix1600. I also ignore the scan filing and storage part of Home, I scan directly into DevonThink.

It’s been years since I used Manager. I just remember that doing this was much easier (setup and use) with Home. And Manager didn’t have “Auto” where it would use one of three sub-profiles depending on the shape (full sheet, cash register receipt, business card) of the document.

I’m having a bit of a hard time finding out (from the manufacturer’s documentation) what “managed by ScanSnap Home” and the designation of a “ScanSnap Home folder” actually means and entails.

What I want to know is:

• Do I have to make all changes to files in that folder through the ScanSnap Home application - or can I make changes outside of it?
  • For example, can I rename files or reorganise the sub-folder structure/hierarchy in Finder - or reorder/delete/add in pages in a PDF file with Apple Preview or another PDF application? And if so, does ScanSnap Home somehow “scan” the folder and automatically recognise these changes?
  • Does ScanSnap Home “move things around“ and create and manage its own folder structure within the assigned folder - and does it create any helper files/databases within the home folder, or leave over any cruft if I’d stop using it?

In other words: does it work like a Smart Folder/Tags/Spotlight alternative way of accessing and organising files - or rather like an iPhoto or Time Machine library (where you should never try to move around things manually)?

I might in fact be missing something here, but the ScanSnap Home folder is just a regular folder that the ScanSnap Home application puts scanned files into by default. At least in my case I don’t use the Home app at all but have everything that scans to a file be managed by Hazel.

1 Like

From what I remember and after some brief testing, ScanSnap Home (SSH) only wants you to work from within SSH. You should not go into the SSH folder while in the finder and change things. I briefly tried 2 things:

1 - I moved a file out of the SSH folder. The SSH software still shows the file but if you try to open it gives an error.

2 - Through the finder I made a folder within the SSH folder. I could search within SSH and find the file but it gives an error when trying to open.

My recommendation would be to do what @tomalmy suggests above or do as I do and use the SSH folder just as a holding place until you decide where you want to move your scans. Do not mess with the files in the SSH folder from within the finder.

1 Like