Scream! Craft...Agenda...Obsidian...Something Else

Indeed. And your process should be as tool agnostic as possible, imho.

2 Likes

Like another popular Apple forum. :upside_down_face:

I believe that name was once used as a Twitter parody in a video game. I don’t remember the name of the video game though. :thinking:

“I wrote a screech about that.”

“I screeched about that.”

1 Like

Well, I’m glad I wasn’t completely off the reservation. :slight_smile:

Dialogue is a lost art among most people today. If you agree with me, there’s no need for dialogue (or the dialogue is more like a “unilogue”). If you disagree with me, I don’t want to talk about it with you.

(Since I started this topic, I can amend it as I wish. I grant others permission to do the same…subject to the wishes of God the Moderator, of course.)

1 Like

It’s known, and it’s indeed a great app. Kourosh Dini thoroughly endorses it in his DEVONthink book. However, there is some worry as to the speed of its development and whether it will be able to remain competitive in a space where the fight is very fierce.

2 Likes

Having felt the same way and experimenting with lots of apps, here is where I’ve landed.

You’re bad! Roflmho!

Note to myself (the OP). Go with Obsidian.

OK. I already did.

2 Likes

Tell us your impression. How did it go?

I recently migrate my personal notes out of Apple Notes and my work notes out of Evernote into an Obsidian-only note taking app. There’s some getting used to writing in Markdown but after some tweaks to Obsidian, I’m getting a hang of it.

A few key things that made it for me

• ability to show italic words in different color is an instant win for my note taking habit. I do a lot of coloring of important points for me to review, so this is important.
  • similarly, the ability to do == for simple highlighting of notes
  • the ease of renaming the filename. Omg, just changing the title of the note changes the filename. This beats having to mess around in Finder
  • cross platform
  • beautiful theme that Apple Notes and Evernote cannot beat. My favorite is Night Owl and Subtlegold.
  • I’m still discovering the strength of note linking, not seeing it yet.

I’m seriously contemplating iA Writer as my interface of choice but, that price - I’m still not sure how well it is compared to Obsidian editor, which is already quite good (see file renaming above). Maybe iA Writer for iOS as Obsidian’s iOS app is still at early stage. We’ll see unless you all can talk me into it :slight_smile:

I hope to read your impression too.

1 Like

Actually, the iOS beta has nearly 100% of the Obsidian desktop feature set. It’s pretty far along. iA Writer is good tech – good to have for its own sake – but feature-wise Obsidian iOS surpasses it.

(I’m talking about my own uses and needs. As always EMMV.)

3 Likes

It’s been going well, with a lot of help from my friends. There are several courses that have helped a great deal, and I’m sure there will be more. The ones I can recommend are:

• Keep Focused. They have a course called Obsidian Made Simple. You have to pay a bit for access to access Francesco D’Alessio’s Keep Focused website, but then you get the Obsidian (and others) course as part of the membership. There are a couple of teasers on YouTube.
  • How to Use Obsidian. An introductory course to Linking Your Thinking by Nick Milo. It’s a teaser for an extremely comprehensive course on using Obsidian, which is fairly expensive (in my opinion). I was able to get a substantial discount as an educator.

There are a number of tutorials on YouTube, of widely varying quality. The two above are the best I’ve found, but there may be others.

The Sweet Setup has been teasing an Obsidian course, but I don’t see it on their site. Not sure of the status of that one, but it will be a paid course ($77 as I remember, although there could be intro pricing when it’s released).
EDIT: Here’s the link to their upcoming course. It’s way down at the bottom of the page.

Also, I was listening to a MacStories podcast just this morning where Federico said he was all in with Obsidian.

So, there it is, for what it’s worth.

Tony

2 Likes

I highly recommend Bryan Jenks’ content. He has good Obsidan content, etc.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right. I completely forgot Bryan. He’s got a good YouTube video where he talks about his process on Francesco’s Keep Productive channel.

1 Like

@tonycr I think there is a problem with the link. I get this:

Worked for me, but here it is again:

Thanks John, I’ll watch it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do we have any idea of when the mobile app will be available yet?!

Obsidian’s? No, no timeline for public release. They won’t be announcing one until the app’s ready. I wouldn’t expect it sooner than the order of weeks, but it could be longer.

Thank you sir. Is it worth the $20 to get on the beta?!

If you like the desktop app, the mobile app is basically the same level of functionality. Don’t expect lots of iOS integration or every community plugin to work immediately, and if you depend on the graph view, it isn’t functional yet.

I quite like it. On my iPhone, I use it to check in on/add to my daily notes, refer to info I need on the go, and capture ideas when they hit me away from my desk. On the iPad I treat it the same as the desktop.