Sending a private file when you don’t have an email address?

Hi MPU Friends,
This isn’t exactly tech support, but some web sleuthing didn’t turn up any obvious answers, and I know folks in this group are smart about such things. I need to send an attachment (a .doc file) to someone who appears to be active on twitter and linkedin - it’s impossible to find his email address. I want to make sure he gets it, after sending a certified hard copy. Twitter says you can drag a file into the comments box, but I worry that the entire world will see it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

There’s probably a reason he’s made himself unavailable. If you’ve sent a hard copy, I would leave it at that.

There’s no way to send a publicly available file without anyone seeing it. If you encrypt it with a password, you would have to get the password to him. Either way, there’s no guarantee he wouldn’t ignore it.

If it’s something critical, you can hire a lawyer. If it’s something like getting a movie script to Stephen King, the hard copy is probably all you can (or would want to) do.

1 Like

This book wil help…

Open Source Intelligence… https://www.amazon.com/dp/169903530X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

I would try using direct messages on Twitter or LinkedIn. But if those aren’t open you’re out of luck (without doing some digging that could definitely cross the boundaries of normal decency).

2 Likes

Why not use the messages app. If they have an iphone you can transfer documents that way privately.

1 Like

Not an answer to OP’s question, but: “Sending a file to somebody” is something that regularly drives me crazy. After 40 decades of computer usage, it’s still a pain in the…neck. :smiley:
Email is what one would consider a standard protocol, supported on every OS. But no joy with bigger files. Sure, you can use DropBox&friends, but that means you need to use a (paid or/and possibly insecure) external service.
All of our computers/devices have WiFi, Internet access is almost ubiquitous, and still, we sometimes use thumb drives to move data across a table.

1 Like

You may be aware, Apple users can send large files using Mail Drop.
Not sure if other OSes have something equivalent.

There’s also Airdrop to use between Apple devices.

These aren’t as ubiquitous as one would like though.

1 Like

Airdrop is kind of what I’d like to exist everywhere, but it isn’t cross-platform.

2 Likes

It’s bad form to send, or try to send, an unsolicited file to someone who doesn’t know you without contacting them first. Contact them, then make arrangements. If it’s a subpoena then consult your lawyer.

1 Like

As a rule, if I get an unsolicited email attachment, I never open it, it goes straight to the Trash. Hopefully most people do the same. Don’t go sending them!

2 Likes

This is true. But it’s a case where the agency provides no other options. I’m normally not a stalker. :slight_smile:

Alive and well since 1620?

Louis XIII also hated attachments, IIRC.

2 Likes

Sometimes I think it was easier to send a file (scroll) across the room for Louis than for us. :smile:

2 Likes

Probably had to pay a scribe to be around to read it for him though. Which is a subscription!

That one made me laugh out loud! It blew my cover because my EA thought I was working. :slight_smile:

1 Like