Should I be using Obsidian?

Agreed–that is one of the major advantages of markdown and why I use it for nearly all of my writing. But, I don’t want to use different apps for most of my writing. I find it more efficient (and I’m faster) if I master one app., keyboard shortcuts, features, etc., than switching apps depending on the device. This is why I find apps like Craft, iA Writer and Obsidian ideal–they work well on all of my devices. :grinning: In my use case, less (app switching) is more.

That’s why I use iAWriter and have DT3 index those files.

2 Likes

+1 for the TableFlip app.

It’s by the guys who do The Archive app.

1 Like

Thanks for the Yarle reference. My Evernote renewal date is imminent, and after toying with the idea for many years, I’m finally shutting down my account. This will be helpful!

I just did the Yarle export. Seemed to work mostly well. It put all my Evernote files (properly named) into one folder instead of matching the folders I had in Evernote. I’m just considering my next options.

I saw on YouTube that some people have a flat Obsidian structure and use tags and file name filters to substitute for folders. I need to explore if we have “smart folders” in Obsidian (which would be so nice).

1 Like

Relevant:

3 Likes

I’ve seen several new note-taking apps lately, and their distinguishing feature(s) look like they could have just been an Obsidian plugin. E.g. one had a graph view where you could click a node to “zoom in” to see related nodes.

There’s always room for competition, but so far I haven’t seen any real competition.

2 Likes

I have tried almost all of them - I think there is one key distinguishing case where Obsdian does not work - publishing.

If your main audience for your notes is yourself, I do not think anything beats Obsidian.

If you want to share your notes with others - be it a small group of colleagues or family or to publish as a website or blog - then Obsidian seems to have an edge with its Publishing feature. But many of the most desirable Obsidian features, including Dataview, do not work with Publishing.

I am about to begin a project writing an academic monograph to be made available publicly. For this reason I am likely to go with MediaWiki. MediaWiki is a very stable/sophisticated app and there are numerous very inexpensive companies that host the software. And it is easy to tranfser the data from one host to another if needed.

If I am wrong and there is a way to use Dataview as a public-facing website/blog, I am all ears.

1 Like