Should I switch to an iCloud.com email address?

Is this easy to do? Where do you buy the domain from?! Is there an easy guide?!? Love this idea.

1 Like

Holy cow! :flushed:

I don’t need anything too advanced. Again, I’ll just be using it for personal use.

Are there any articles (or other message boards) talking about that issue?

Since launch day? Have you had any issues with spam filtering as mentioned above?

I don’t know. It sounds complicated to me.

I used gmail for my personal address for many many years. At some point I decided that I really didn’t want to do that any more. So I decided to change my email address (it really doesn’t matter what I changed it to, the process would be the same). Changing really was not painful (since I could keep my gmail address for a long time).

1. I sent an email to everybody in my contact book that I still have some contact with and told them that effective immediately my email address is XXX@YYY.com.

2. I set up an auto responder on GMAIL indicating that my address has changed — please use my new address in the future but I am still monitoring this address. After 3 or 4 months I changed it to say that I only look at GMAIL once a week so please send to my new address or you will have to wait for a response. That is still in place.

3. One by one I started changing websites that had my email address. Within about two months I had the vast majority changed. Every few months I find another — but they are getting rarer and rarer.

4. That’s it. I did this all about 12 months ago. Within 3 or 4 months virtually nothing relevant was still coming in on gmail. Now I look at gmail on Sunday mornings just be sure that I didn’t miss anything.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, I still want to know. :sweat_smile:

I don’t use G Suite. What is “the green box”?

The whole digital estate / essential instructions for survivors problem has been on my mind recently. Thanks for your helpful list – should be part of a separate thread focused just on instructions for survivors, IMO.

1 Like

Yeah, the topic is being derailed a bit. :sweat_smile:

I think I’m going to go with an iCloud email address. That’s what’s probably best for me. Thanks for the help everybody!

I have my own domain that I point to FastMail (paid) for my consulting business. I added an alias to that email address and I have a server side rule that splits it out to a separate folder (so it doesn’t actually cost me anything additional).

1 Like

Yes Yes Yes👍

And don’t forget to utilize the alias options

Apple’s “silent email filtering” was first covered by Macworld and other publications around 7 years ago and I just found some discussions as recent as 2019. I only use my old @Mac.com address for testing and some receipts from Apple so I have no direct knowledge of this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250346231

1 Like

Will do! Is that an exclusive feature?

Well, I found the article in question (along with a thread from the iMore forums).
https://www.macworld.com/article/2029570/silent-email-filtering-makes-icloud-an-unreliable-option.html
This is intriguing. :thinking:

Regardless, I’m still going to go with an iCloud email address.

1 Like

I never had any trouble with iCloud mail.
Neither does any of my many many clients

2 Likes

Is the silent filtering a very rare problem then?

Yes, and if an email is not getting trough it’s for a good reason.

Ah, okay. The email filtering is actually just really good then? :sweat_smile:

Yes. And I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you … :slight_smile:

1 Like

So… you’re suggesting that @MacExpert is full of it?

1 Like

My dad passed away a couple of weeks ago at 93y104d and it made me think of this idea. So, I’m stealing it! Hope that’s okay! Such a great way to help out at the end. Great idea @Philrob :+1:

Sorry to hear about your dad. Thanks to @Philrob for posting about the green box.

2 Likes

I will say no. I have experience that I do not receive emails sometimes, like for example on Automators the validation or confirmation email. With att when they send also confirmation emails they are flag by apple and I don’t receive them and they are not even accessible thru the webpage. Strange behavior but it pushed me out of it.

1 Like

I agree on this. I have had on occasions not received order confirmation emails from Apple for Apple store orders.

I need to know which emails have been blocked because nobody but me gets to decide which emails to block. Apple making a decision on my behalf is not cool, because even Apple cannot get it right 100% of the time.

This is the single reason I am not using iCloud email service.