Siri is inconsistently frustrating / Fixed?

Here’s another regression:

Previously:
One of my morning wakeup alarms rings while I am already up doing something, can’t pick up my phone and it’s not within reading distance
Me: “Hey Siri, enough with the alarm already”
Siri: stops the currently ringing alarm from ringing

Now
Me: “Hey Siri, enough with the alarm already”
Siri: I found this list, which one would you like me to cancel? - Displays a list of 3 alarms.
Me: the one that is ringing
Siri: cancels it from the next instance. Since it already started ringing, that’s in the past, so it cancels tomorrow’s wakeup alarm going forwards.

I tried “Hey Siri, cancel alarm” and the same thing happened.

I have not tried “Hey Siri, stop alarm” but even if this works, I will be sad. What I liked about Siri was the freedom to express yourself in multiple ways rather than being railroaded into memorizing syntax.

This is all with iOS 14, I’ll see how it goes with iOS 15.

I run into inconsistencies as well. I’m running Monterey and iOS 15.1x. On an iOS device, I can select and email message and say “Hey Siri, remember this email” and “she” puts an email link to that message in the Reminders app. On my Mac, the same command results in “I don’t see an app for that. You’ll need to download one.”

Very frustrating.

As a long time Siri user I learned to enunciate clearly when dealing with my digital assistants. But Siri still responds incorrectly when I say “turn “light” on/off” about 30% of the time. I previously used the Google Assistant to control my lights and it rarely, if ever, misunderstood my commands. Another thing I miss about the GA. If I said “Stop”, it would stop all activity immediately. I didn’t even have to say “OK Google” first.

Sadly, Siri has a long way to go. If Apple doesn’t show it some love soon it may never catch up to the competition.

For approximately the last year Siri has become more and more frustrating to use. The primary reason seems to be a massive lag as it tries to contact the mothership before it can do anything. We have only a very few things we typically use Siri for, the primary one being to set a timer, usually involving cooking, or as a reminder to advance the laundry, etc. Lately the conversation (spoken carefully to a watch, so that our phone doesn’t hear us) goes something like this:

Me: “Hey, Siri. Set a timer for 40 minutes.”

(5-second wait)

Siri: “mmm-hmmm?”

Me: “Set a timer for 40 minutes.”

Siri: [displays ‘set a timer’, then asks] “for how long”

Me: “40 minutes!”

Siri: [after 5-second delay] “40 minutes and counting”

This is now the ideal interaction. Sometimes you have to start over from scratch. It is maddening.

And this doesn’t even count all of the other problems that others have already detailed in this thread.

Pretty sure we’re just going to shift to Google Assistant for now. Got a free Nest w/ latest Google One tier subsciption. Tested it just now, never mistranslated a single word, never said “I’m sorry I didn’t get that” or “mmm-hmmm.” So. That’s it. That’s the tweet, err, post…

2 Likes

I suggest you turn on ‘continued conversation’. Being able to ask multiple questions without having to summon the GA each time is one of my favorite features.

1 Like