So what's this whole "Mac" thing?

Oh! And, I don’t think this has been mentioned yet: Apple trackpads. You might be using a mouse with that iMac, but if you eventually get a MacBook, its real hard to go back to non-Apple trackpads.

4 Likes

Good point! I actually chose to go all the way and ordered the Magic Trackpad along my iMac. And no regrets on both the build quality (totally agree with you) and integration (although to be fair, Windows 10 is working completely fine on that front).
As for the IT discussion, I’m assuming it isn’t so much about which platform is the best but rather how painful an hybrid setup company-wide or a complete switch would be…?

I should’ve been more specific in what I dig about Apple trackpads: precision and responsiveness. The most minuscule movement of a finger is instantly reflected on screen. Non-Apple trackpads seem to be much less precise (some better than others, but none as good) and a lot of times I’m doing the same swipe/drag/whatever over and over again to get it to register. Whether hardware or Windows, they all seem laggy in general. There seems to be a micro-delay between action and on-screen result that makes it feel like you’re “driving ahead” of your cursor. But not in  land. You either get instant cursor movement (or a spinning beachball :beach_umbrella: but hey what is perfect…) Come to think of it, whenever I use Windows (which is daily as an IT folk) the whole UI just kind of drags. Nothing appears instantly whether its the Start menu, dialog boxes or windows. The power of macOS’s graphics layer is something that we’ve long taken for granted. I’ve always heard this power comes from the fact that macOS doesn’t have to be compatible with every graphics adapter ever made.

And Magic Trackpad gestures…:love_letter:

IBM is an OS-hybrid orginanzation so its possible. Painful? That’s just the nature of things here in enterprise IT land so I’m not sure it matters especially if users can be more productive/happier/less expensive to support/etc.

1 Like

Oh I totally agree on the issue of responsiveness, that’s always tempted me and I can say added to my eventual switching!

And thanks for the IT insight! I haven’t always worked with IT depts with too much of a care for their customers’ happiness, but from An infrastructure standpoint, I guess that if it’s good for IBM (large company, wide variety of profiles), it should be alright for most. :slight_smile:
Cheers!

1 Like

Your point about brain gymnastics is quite true, although sometimes it feels like I just can’t use a computer anymore. :smiley: There are meetings where I’m operating the PC and I get all mixed up with my shortcuts and, yeah. ˆˆ
And no print screen, how I feel you. :smiley:

Command shift 4 + drag mouse to screen capture a rectangle
Command shift 4 + space then mouse click to capture a window
Command shift 5 for the new screen capture with floating menu and options.
These are all saved to a file on your desktop which beats Windows Print Screen’s method of copying to the copy paste buffer. Then again, that can be useful, and the Command shift 5 options on Mac can provide it.

On Windows, Windows key + shift + S is the new hotness in screen capture. It’s also handy when using keyboards that don’t have a print screen button.

While on the topic of copy paste, Windows key + v can access a clipboard history if you enable it in settings.

3 Likes

You blew my mind SO HARD right there, @Diane!! I’ve been pestering people with Ditto for ages, and you tell me there’s a clipboard history on Windows?? That’s awesome. Thanks for this and the Mac shortcuts, I need to lear these!!

1 Like

Here’s an option:

Make a folder within the Documents folder that houses aliases of just the folders you want to show up as YOUR Documents folder. For example, I use an A-Z filing structure, so my top-level “Documents” folder is called “A-Z.” I put this in the Finder window sidebar and use it to access my version of the Documents folder that only includes what I want it to.

I only look into the actual Documents folders if I want one of those pesky developers folders that “shouldn’t” be there. As Zoom is one of the criminals putting my Zoom recording in the Documents folder and I frequently refer to it, I have the option to add an alias of that Zoom folder in my “Z” folder.

Another level beyond A-Z sorting is to use Finder Tags and Smart Folders. For example, I add a “Current” tag to things I’m currently working on. While I could get to “Current” tagged items in the tags section of a Finder window sidebar, I don’t like the extra length and clutter of the additional tags section, instead, have a Smart Folder for that tag and include that Smart Folder within my one and only Favorites section I keep open in the sidebar. Pretty and simple counts too!