So why the color changes?

I don’t really care since I only see the icon for a few minutes each day, but it looks like a draining battery to me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

More like a battery in need of serious attention. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps you missed this post?

That was how the site looked after the original set of changes were implemented.

As @ismh noted, he removed most of the changes, including the orange border, leaving the new battery logo (and maybe other bits). Most of the initial discussion was about the original changes. Which no doubt explains some of the confusion for folks who did not see those changes.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Sort of. There were orange outlines and buttons, instead of the green we have again That screenshot looks very similar to the way it looks as I type this. @Pete just added the orange border to make it look obnoxious. It was never obnoxious, just different (but it seems like half of the people in this thread hate orange so :man_shrugging:t3:).

1 Like

Good grief! We’re dealing with decorations here. We ONLY change decorations for the sake of change! I love orange so bring it on. And when ya get bored with orange, I like purple too.

2 Likes

Yet another anti-orange vote. The More Power Users logo in green is a nice updated logo. And no, I’m not buying any orange logo gear. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well not exactly, Decorations change how you view the world. What you perceive as pleasing has a profound effect on how you will approach issues and changes. So yes, it’s a first world problem but it sis actually important in how we interact and participate. I am trying to figure out how to block out the logo somehow because I can’t easily adjust to it.

4 Likes

If you use an ad-block you can use its hide element feature to do the trick easily.

Its weird to not have a logo, but I feel better by not looking at the new Low Power mode-esque logo.

Seems half-baked to leave the forum colors green while changing the logo. That’s why I thought it was an April Fools’ joke. At least pick a lane.

1 Like

I had the forum colors orange at first and it was just too much for some people.

3 Likes

So I appreciate that this is just a change of Logo, something companies and brands do occasionally, but the change did make me think about MPU a bit more deeply.

I listened to almost every episode until probably a year ago and now I find many episodes aren’t really worth the time. I know that some of this is just me knowing more now than I did then, so less content is truly new, but many episodes really aren’t what I am looking for.

The latest episode on Stephen’s collection isn’t really for me (no I haven’t listened to it all) and a recent episode on maintaining hardware really wasn’t classic MPU but more just common sense.

These forums still prove interesting, but perhaps this change of colour/icon is the right time for me to find a different podcast. The battery level on MPU is getting low I think.

5 Likes

I like the changes! Thanks @ismh, keep up the great work!

1 Like

I’m with you on the appeal of current episodes. I’ve never been a fan of Stephen’s either. He’s very knowledgable but his delivery style is not for me. I listen to some of the old episodes with Katie and they remain my favourite.I haven’t felt compelled to listen to more recent episodes for a long time now.

As for the colour change: I prefer the old version too.

To me this community is why I still visit the forums. I don’t see comments about colour as a first world problem. To me that is an unkind critique of someones differing opinion.

4 Likes

As I have always had the forum displayed in Dark Mode, I did find the contrast a bit jarring, but no biggie.

That said, I just spent quite some time looking for that green favicon among my tabs, before realizing… :man_facepalming:

I’ll get used to it.

Sounds like you’ve outgrown MPU as you’ve truly reached enlightenment. This color thing is pretty serious! Hate to see you go Craig. Salute! :saluting_face:

1 Like

Perhaps… But sometimes things are better left unsaid. Nobody asked you for your unkind critique on the show. If you come to the forum and don’t listen to the show that’s your choice. But you can’t give this critique and then get butt-hurt because someone says complaining about colors is petty.

3 Likes

MPU used to be a hobby, but now it is a business for the creators and some people pay money to listen to MPU, whilst others are served adverts. As such, it really needs to deliver value to the listeners in the same way as we all assess whether or not Netflix, Disney+, newspaper subscriptions and so on deliver value.
Comments on design and colours are equally valid I think. There are many other posts where people comment on the design choices in apps for example see all the commentary about OF4.

1 Like

April 1 they should have trolled us and switched to Panic’s palette, a nice dark screen with purple letters… :grinning:

1 Like

Just because the podcast doesn’t deliver value to you anymore doesn’t mean everyone feels the same. No doubt they have download numbers and can see for themselves how the podcast is doing. I know I burn out on podcasts and take a break from some for awhile or just move on. I am sure that goes for a lot of people.

As far as the color and logo change, see all of the internet. Anytime anyone changes anything, people in forums will be up in arms over it. People don’t like change, news at 11. In 5 years when they change the logo again, people will be upset because they liked the orange battery.

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought about this, but I’d guess the orange was far less jarring on Light mode than it was on Dark mode.

1 Like