Software for personal finances

I like Banktivity, but you like Quick Books. Why not stick with it? And I notice banking apps getting into the game a little bit with reporting features.

Just noting that the skills necessary for adding columns are pretty simple, so you wouldnā€™t have a huge learning curve. To sum cells D3 through D97:

=SUM(D3:D97)

Thatā€™s most of what youā€™d need to just use Numbers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am an Excel power user and I still use a dedicated app to track the activity in the various financial accounts I control.

I currently use Banktivity, although I donā€™t love it. Itā€™s moved to a subscription, but the app will continue to work if you cancel your subscription (except for automatic downloads, which I for one never use) and you can keep all your data.

NOTE: I do export my Banktivity reports into Excel in order to perform certain kinds of analyses that Banktivity doesnā€™t provide for.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just started to use Moneywiz 3 which is part of Setapp. Really impressed. Got Mac and IOS and it links to my bank account. Very simple.

If you have Microsoft 365 (I have it for Mac) you can use Money In Excel, which imports from my banks using Plaid.

1 Like

People are mad, and rightly so. If it works for you then thatā€™s fine, just know itā€™s a rubbish company youā€™re supporting, even if the software is good. If that doesnā€™t matter to you and you can handle the price gauging, then itā€™s a great choice.

Do you have separate bank accounts and all that fun stuff? Are there any rough edges for using it for business?

1 Like

Aaannnndd US only. triffic.

I want to second YNAB but the price increase definitely is a bummer. That said, I donā€™t think the competitors to this app hold up either!

Do you think YNAB stops being worth it at the new price? Or is it just a matter of the sudden price hike being a shock?

YUMMY!!!

It is ok. LOL!.

Wellā€¦ itā€™s worth it to me because I donā€™t think the other apps that allow for budgeting with the same methods are as good. Canā€™t say Iā€™m thrilled about the price hike, but I donā€™t think they have a competitor that is better. And at least on the surface it seems they pay and treat their employees well. Their customer support is incredible, they have legit recorded screencasts explaining aspects of my budget when I was having some issues with the numbers adding up.

Actually I think I just convinced myself that itā€™s definitely still worth the price of admission.

Iā€™ve been testing Aspire Budget after using YNAB for years. Bummed about the handling of the price increase, so now may be the time to jump from YNAB. I do like all that YNAB does, but maybe not for at the new price.

Aspire is a little bit to setup and itā€™s in Google Sheets, but itā€™s totally free, pretty powerful, and has a strong community and active developer. I do have to manually grab my transactions each week which isnā€™t awful.

Just weighing my options atm.

3 Likes