Sonoma upgrade, external USB keyboard not working

I think I fixed this by using a USB type A port instead of a C (at least so far). Posting just in case anyone has this problem and finds this thread since this seems to be a not uncommon problem.

1 Like

My fix was buying a new wireless keyboard so no the original issue likely still exists and my old keyboard sits in a box.

3 Likes

I just moved to 17.4 from Ventura and the one of the two USB ports on my monitors didn’t work. In fact I have two monitors - one is connected to the Mac mini USBC and the other is connected via HDMI (and a separate USB port into the Mac’s USBA).

Both monitors have a hub with two USB ports which I connect external keyboard, mouse and a speaker. All ports were working fine in Ventura but after going to Sonoma, one port is not responding. The other one in each monitor is working fine.

It’s weird but it’s just so frustrating.

On top of that, my old Default Folder X is requiring an upgrade. Bartender too. Looks like this is not a good upgrade for me!

Cool! What’s it like in the future? :smile:

Back here in the present I’m running 14.4 :smile: and I have twenty USB and Thunderbolt ports in use via hubs, and all of the ports on the back of my M1 Mac Studio in use.

And two iPads connected via WiFi, and a Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse (don’t ask) via Bluetooth.

Connected items include a Keychron K8 Pro and a Q0 numpad, four monitors, a printer, a scanner, and obviously several hubs. And everything is working just fine.

I say this not to discount any issues others are having, but as an existence proof that it can be made to work.

(On the other hand, don’t get me started on the issues I had with my 2018 Mac mini …)

Sort of. I never had issues after using a wired keyboard for years. Then I did. I read up on it, sometimes keyboards (and other low power devices) don’t draw enough power to activate the USB port, so that can cause problems. I assume that was the issue with mine and moving it to a USB-A fixed it.

On my Windows laptop I had an external monitor hooked for months. I did a Windows update, now it doesn’t work (USB C/Display Port 1.4). Doing a search for help, this is a thing that happens sometimes. Lot’s and lots of posts about the issue.

No doubt it’s fixable, but how much time and/or money is it going to take?

Not “Sort of”, but actually. It is kind of what “existence proof” means.

Which kind of supports my point then, doesn’t it.

Cheers.

On one thing, I guess. Now come over here and figure out why my $800 monitor no longer works please. Some computer problems require more money/knowledge/time than a lot of us have (or want to devote to it).

Regardless I am not sure what your point is. No one likes it when they post about a problem and someone replies “Well I have never had that problem.” Good for you, but that really doesn’t help.

1 Like

I’m sorry if my post came across as a “humble brag”. That was not my intention.

When faced with a challenge, I, and most people I know, find hope and encouragement when someone with a similar challenge has succeeded. Thus my post was meant to convey a “you can succeed, you got this” message.

Again, I apologize if it was taken as a “my sh*t don’t stink”.

2 Likes

In this specific case where the issue of USB ports appear after an OS upgrade, I’m not sure how I can succeed in fixing it? Buy new monitors? Buy new Macs? Throw away all my peripherals? I can only hope that a software upgrade will fix it. Maybe macOS 17.4 :sweat_smile:

Just another frustrated wired mac keyboard owner who upon upgrading to Sonoma finds that her keyboard is no longer responsive. Read through all the threads and one of these fixes work for me. Super sad.

1 Like