Spark Mail Client goes subscription

I share some of his insights after playing more with Spark 3. I’m going to give it a fair go to see if it changes my mind.

So far, despite some of the missing features from v2, I’m really enjoying the new interface. It’s taken some inspiration from both Superhuman and Hey, except you can use any domain.

I’m using it too and like the cleaner interface and the command centre. I am missing the calendar integration as well as dark mode, but those will come. I really see Readdle as a creator of high quality applications that just work.

I haven’t noticed any impact from applications becoming Electron apps (1password and Spark are the ones I’m aware of). They are both running all the time and I do not notice any impact on battery.

1 Like

Looks like they gave in?

https://twitter.com/SparkMailApp/status/1578342379874291713

5 Likes

“A bug”. Hmmmm mmmmmm… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

I’ve never used a non-native Mail app. I can’t tell if I’m missing out, but I hate email and want to spend as little time on it as possible, so I’m not looking to invest in something. Also it’s a false economy to be efficient with email; sending prompt replies just encourages more emails. Making people wait a month encourages them to not email you again :grimacing: (I can do this since my employer uses Slack and I am contactable through text, Twitter, calls, or even talking to me in person like it’s the 19th century!).

My work uses gmail nowadays and actually I often just go in the browser if I’m going to be at it for a while, but all my email addresses (work and personal) are just in Apple’s Mail apps.

The only one bug bear I have with Apple’s app is that you can’t sort iOS Mail by different options (Name, subject, etc.). I do that a lot so often switch to Mac. It is ridiculous that the function isn’t in iOS.

You can use filters in the iOS app (bottom left corner). It’s not the same as sorting and not quite as full featured, but it can help in certain scenarios.

So Edison or Airmail?! Which one is better?! Anyone use either?

Edison has a history of serious privacy issues. You won’t have trouble finding examples.

2 Likes

I was a long time Airmail user prior to switching to Spark. Overall, I liked Airmail, although it has SO many settings/ prefs. I still prefer the old Spark (can’t stand this new version). But may switch over to Airmail sooner rather than later…

One weird issue with the new Spark on iOS is that if you have folders, and try to “archive” an email, rather than being able to archive it, it goes to “Not Done” and back to the Inbox! I use Sanebox, and this makes archiving emails on iOS diffcult.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat! All I really need from an iOS mail client is the ability to handle Google Workspace aliases and have a remove text formatting button.

Gmail passes the the first need wonderfully, but it always (always!!) preserves the source formatting for copy/paste. I’ve found a lame workaround using a brief Shortcut in the share sheet for text selection, but this functionality is a button away on Spark, Airmail, Mail.app (etc.).

Tangentially, Gmail on iOS does not have an archive/remove-label swipe when in a particular label; something Gmail on Android has had for ages.
Spark used to be able to archive within a label (folder) and accomplish the same remove-label function, but that is gone too with the latest update — it now marks “done” or “not done” which is Inbox & Archive only.

Mail.app would cover my needs for the most part, but it doesn’t natively support Gmail aliases. The only workaround to get aliases working is to manually add an account for each alias, so you would end up with multiple redundant mailboxes.
Mail also has the (longstanding, but not major) annoyance of giving an entire message a white background when dark mode is active if the sender’s signature isn’t formatted correctly.

Airmail is not an option since it regularly breaks threads when I reply or forward. It’s been an issue for years. So bizarre.

I’m just trying to accomodate Gmail.app’s shortcomings at the moment as well.

Yah the alias thing is super frustrating. If Spark removes that tagline they keep inserting I might be able to make that work.

I don’t understand why more apps can’t handle the gmail Aliases. Ugh

This is good because that’s what drove me away.

If you add Google as standard SMTP account, I believe you can add aliases in Mail.app.

Oh, as part of the add another email option? I will give that a go.

Do you know if the alias will preserve email authentication (SPF/DKIM)?

Isn’t there some law that requires any post to an Apple-centric forum discussing email clients to ask, “how can Apple create so many beautiful products and services, yet have one of the ugliest mail clients?”

If there isn’t a law like this, perhaps we should create one. Any naming recommendations? Sparks’ Law? (I kind of like this one because it is a spin on the name of David’s law practice.) Hackett’s Law? Orchard’s Law? Others?

Once we use it enough, we can enter it into Wikipedia and it will be official.

7 Likes

Argh - just as I thought I’d settled on Edison…

1 Like

Maybe it’s time for me to give Airmail a good test drive…

I’m still getting used to the delay send feature, but overall Airmail is not nearly as buggy as eM Client (any version). I’m just about finished customizing it, after that I’m not going to touch the settings.

I was a huge Dispatch fan and when development ceased, I went to Airmail. There were lots of issues in the early years, so I drifted into Spark, but Airmail has smoothed out now. I am a huge mail “processor” so I love the baked in share actions of Airmail. Also now that TextExpander has gotten serious about iOS, their keyboard within Airmail makes for a powerful combo.

The trick to using Airmail is to ONLY use the settings and prefs that apply to YOUR workflow. Don’t try to configure everything.

Unwittingly installed the new Spark on iPadOS. I’m assuming this is prior to the “Sent with Spark” bugfix— it shows up as an additional footer at the bottom of my emails, but can be deleted with a tap. Minor inconvenience for now; will continue to test new features to see if there’s any impact on my way of working…