Spider in NAS - now what?

Hello there,

I watched a spider crawl into my NAS (while teaching an online Zoom class no less!), and am unsure what to do.

• wait and see and hope it doesn’t mess up the hdd
  • disconnect and open the enclosure to let the spider out (if still alive)
  • any other options?

I’m not keen on option two as I’m in Australia and spiders are rarely a good thing (ahem), so hate to go near them, but I also don’t want my NAS to die…so, is the spider likely to damage anything?

It’s a WD MyCloud EX2

Send in another spider to get the first one.

8 Likes

I think I found just the right specimen on my jumper…

1 Like

No, no, no. You send a bird in to catch the spider. Then a cat to catch the bird, a dog to catch the cat, a goat to catch the dog, a cow to catch the goat, and a horse to catch the cow.

12 Likes

Cats a no-go, but I do have a blue-tongue lizard in the backyard, how about that?

1 Like

This picture pretty much sums up why I don’t think I could live in Australia.

1 Like

If it helps, the spider in the NAS is much smaller. Unfortunately it’s the small ones that are the unpleasant ones…(I’m not helping, am I?)

2 Likes

Should make it easy to get on the web…

10 Likes

Why was a spider teaching a Zoom class?

4 Likes

Our budget for teaching assistant has plummeted…

6 Likes

Speaking as a security practitioner, you should probably not expose your consumer-grade NAS to the web.

9 Likes

Leave a light on - you don’t want to fool around with the dark web.

18 Likes

Nope. Not at all… :joy:

I live in Sydney and really you don’t see too many spiders, and most of them are in a tree like they would be anywhere else in the world. Huntsman don’t live in webs and you see them occasionally, but honestly it’s not as bad as one would expect!

1 Like

Um, I think you missed the obvious one:

• Hope that the spider is radioactive, comes out, bites you, and turns you into a superhero.

I mean, I’m not sure what kind of a super hero origin story starts in a NAS or what your powers would be… presumably something to do with being able to store and retrieve a lot of information.

Yeah, I mean… ok I guess it’s not quite as cool as being Thor or Iron Man but it’s almost as good as being Hawkeye?

4 Likes

Memory Man!

The storage and retrieval of vast amounts of information. When you are (inevitably, but of course only temporarily) turned evil, your power will be to participate in DDoS attacks.

The weakness would be cross-site scripting attacks against your never updated firmware.

4 Likes

It was spinning a web of deceit? :slight_smile:

Like most Zoom calls. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Loved the jokes but what about the original problem? What kind of NAS is it? Mine has a door I can open. It is a good idea to vaccuum them out occasionally as the fans draw dust inside.

1 Like

Without exposing them to static electricity from the vacuum

And that‘s why I live where the air hurts my face, haha.

3 Likes