SSD lifetimes may lead to computer failure

smartctl -a disk0 (or whatever disk you’d like to check)

brew or port install smartmontools to get that utility.

1 Like

Those statements always seemed like wishful thinking to me to me, and this comparison between the performance of two base-model M3 MBPs, one with 8 gb and the other with 16 gb, appears to confirm it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hmWPd7uEYEY

“Need” is such a relative term. :smiley:

True, but I don’t believe 8 gb is enough RAM anymore, regardless of the processor. Even for someone with a minimal workload, it’s not likely to be enough over the life of a new Mac. And it’s unconscionable that Apple continues to sell machines for over $1,000 USD with so little RAM.

Macworld has a good write up: Apple's MacBook Pro memory problem is worse than ever | Macworld

Money quote:

There’s nothing special about Apple’s RAM. It’s high quality, and it’s integrated on a very wide memory bus very close to the M3 chip, but those manufacturing complexities don’t make the RAM cost more. Apple’s charging you $200 for RAM it buys for $30.

1 Like

On a somewhat related note, does anyone have a recommendation about what utility they like to use to monitor disk drive health (eg Drive Dx, SMART Reporter, SMART utility)?