Stepping back from RSS

Then your solution, instead of avoiding RSS altogether, is quite simple: “Mark As Read”

1 Like

Do you have an RSS reader you recommend for using on the iPad and a feed source?

this would drive me insane. like, literally.

This is why I don’t have Twitter, or Instagram, or Facebook…

You don’t need one. But it can help you get more value out of it (if you’re that type of person).

Reeder 4 recently went free for Mac and iOS (meaning Reeder 5 is almost certainly on its way). It’s an outstanding app.

https://www.reederapp.com/

Most people would recommend Inoreader, Feedly or Feedly - all good.

I use an an inexpensive RSS service called NewsBlur mostly out of inertia - I like it but it’s not one of the major ones and it’s a little clunky (although it has a surprisingly useful iOS app for itself).

1 Like

Only if you lacked self-control

As noted above, I’m with YOU on that ! :slight_smile:

I have them but so limited as to be meaningless. I have 5 immediate family members on FB, that’s it. I only use my organization’s Twitter and Instagram by having our communications department post on my behalf—once a month or less. I guess that means I’m not a SM influencer? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve recently gone all in on FeedBin and NetNewsWire. FeedBin lets me generate an email address I can have newsletters go to, so that those things don’t end up in my inbox but instead end up in my reader - as the first of those emails are due today I’ve yet to see what it looks like but I’ve heard good things!

Feedbin is a good service. It’s one of the three I meant to recommend earlier, but I accidentally typed Feedly twice.

NewsBlur handles newsletters too, but via email redirect; the dev prefers for users to have ‘one source of truth’ for all incoming emails (which also makes it easier to leave the RSS service if necessary).

Ohhhhhh.

I’m a Feedly user (with a grandfathered account) and I’m mostly happy with what I have, but I just took a look at Feedbin and I’m feeling the pull.

My current set-up ticks 2/3 boxes: RSS via Feedly, newsletters to Feedly via Kill-The-Newsletter, all piped through Reeder. Feedbin would do both natively AND handle subscriptions to Twitter, plus it works with Reeder which I have no intention of giving up.

One more subscription? Maybe…:sweat_smile:

Does anyone know if it’s possible to trigger an automation by starring an item in Feedbin? For example, to automatically save a starred item to Evernote?

Feedbin and Feedly are great services, but one of the things that keeps me with NewsBlur is a custom feed (which you can view on the web or in their own app but not a normal RSS reader) to bubble up ‘Infrequent Site Stories’ - something that becomes increasingly more valuable the more feeds you have. One of the things I love about RSS is not having to remember to visit rarely updated sites but when you have tons of feeds and don’t read them all infrequently-updated sites can too easily get swept away with the Mark All As Read button.

1 Like