Studio Display questions

I think that mine looks fine too, but you (or at least I) can see a difference for the worse with the Studio Display when compared with the built in camera on my (new) MBP. I think the biggest issue that people have with it is that given the price of the display and the lack of physical constraints, Apple really seems to have skimped unnecessarily on the camera. It adds a slight non-premium stain to an otherwise truly outstanding product.

They fixed the firmware a month or so after the launch.

OK, thx!
I wasn’t aware of that.
It is interesting, as most of the comments I saw about the camera stated, that they included a inferior camera, and I wonder that this could be fixed by firmware.
But obviously, those comments where wrong, if it worked…

I use my Studio Display with a MacBook Pro “M1 Nothing” (to coin a term, because people frequently use just “M1” when they mean “M1 series”) and it’s great.

First and foremost I wanted a display the equal of my prior 2015 27" iMac that I gave to my wife a few years ago. I’ve been regretting the loss of that screen ever since. I have the single supplied cable as the only thing plugged into the MBP. Off the back of the screen is my OWC USB-C Dock which runs multiple devices plus Ethernet.

I don’t have much call for a webcam though I have tried it and it looks “fine”. I also have the laptop opened sitting beneath the display so could use that one, or wait for Ventura and use my phone.

I do like the speaker quality, though it can be a little bass-heavy for podcast listening. Great for music though, and for general purpose use.

The one area I’ve got an issue is actually that supplied cable. It sticks out a minimum of around 60 mm from the side of the laptop. None of the name brand cable makers seem to make a right angle TB4 cable, and the one Chinese model I found on Amazon simply does not work. The supplied cable is long enough for my setup, but I do wish I could get a good chunk of that 60 mm back.

There are extremely few, perhaps even just the LG, options that offer a 5K display. There are lots of 27" and larger displays, but I find it disingenuous when reviewers say something is comparable if it’s not a 5K display.

The 5K resolution is a major selling feature of the Studio Display. Especially if someone is coming from a 5K iMac, dropping to 4K in a 27" form factor will likely be noticeable for many people.

3 Likes

I have both a Studio Display and a LG 4K as my secondary monitor, and the build quality is night-and-day difference. If you’re not picky about aesthetics, then yes the LG 5K is functional and the panel itself is great, but if the Apple aesthetic matters to someone’s purchasing decisions then I think the extra cost can be reasonable.

1 Like

This has been great input regarding the display. Thanks so much for all your answers. For those who have the Studio Display … do any of you have the Tilt- and height-adjustable stand? Does it make a big difference? Or not?

Not willing to purchase height-adjustment if only a minor improvement, but if a big improvement then I’d certainly consider it!

I have the tilt-and-height adjustable stand and it represents a major quality of life improvement for me over not having the option in my iMac Pro. YMMV, of course.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. What specifically was a benefit to you? The height adjustment is only 4 inches … but obviously that can make all the difference in some cases. In other cases … not so much.

4 inches is a lot. If you need more than that, your problem is your desk, not your monitor. If you think 4" won’t do it, I’d invest that money towards a sit-stand desk instead.

I don’t know how to be more specific than the fact that it’s adjustable. My iMac was too low, all the time. My Studio Display can be raised or lowered depending on context (sitting or standing, lounging, or leaning in, etc). It’s also handy if you need to move it from one desk to another for some reason.

I would say this: if you didn’t need it with an iMac, you don’t need it now. If you didn’t breathe a sigh of relief about the option, you’re fine. If you need a lot of adjustment — more than the 4" — get a new desk.

1 Like

Ha! Well I may get a new desk, but for other unrelated reasons. Sometimes adjustment of viewing angle makes a big difference and I thought the height adjustable version might offer more flexability in terms of possible viewing angles.

… I’m fine with the display of my current iMac in terms of height so maybe this option is not important to me. I remember reading the default stand was a bit lower than for the iMac 27. Not sure if this is true or significant.

I would describe it as marginally lower, but not meaningfully lower. If the iMac is good enough for you, I’d say you might consider saving your money.

If you end up with the new desk, and it’s lower than your current desk, you may end up regretting your decision. It’s a risk.

I second getting the height-adjustable (or VESA; my preference) unless you’re confident in being able to put something of the right height under the monitor stand (like the TwelveSouth adjustable iMac stand.) Even being an inch off of your sweet spot will cause ergonomic issues if you use it regularly.

Another reason to get the ASD over the LG5K, besides the build quality of the form factor, is the speaker and mic quality if you don’t like to wear headphones or ear buds at your desk.

I also opted for the VESA mount - apparently, my torso is unproportionally long for my height, so monitors have ALWAYS been too low for me. Using risers for both the iMac and a 4k screen currently, so hope to get some desk real-estate back by mounting the screen on an arm.

Mine were scheduled for delivery today, but then got “delayed” - hopefully to tomorrow only.

Of course, if this is the major selling point for you, go for it!

BUT, I run a 4K and a 5K 27’’ next to each other, and yes, there are differences visible in this direct comparison, if I put on my glasses, and pull out the Magnifying glass, but I wouldn´t pay the high price difference for that.
This only makes sense, if you often use material, that need the 5K e.g. if you edit Video for that resolution, and so on.
Otherwise the discussion is more a academic one. Or comparable to people who buy the fastest car on the market, to drive it only within an area with a 65Mp/h Speed Limit.

Got my Studio Display finally delivered yesterday - placed outside my door, without signature or the driver bothering to check if I was even at home. That wasn’t a great start.

So, today I got to the unboxing and mounting of the VESA arm. Turns out, the Studio Display DO NOT come with mounting screws for the plate. I had even visited the Apple Store in person to verify with a live Apple sales rep who told me that “oh yes, the screws are included”. Took me 90 minutes or so to locate a store who carried the right length of M4 screw I needed.

After 25% sales tax and the markup in the shop, four screws cost me the equvialent of 38 cents US. This level of cost cutting on a monitor I just spent 2.000 euros on really messed up the experience of receiving the otherwise very nice monitor.

The height adjustable stand only allows you to go UP from the fixed height of the tilt stand. This means a minimum of 479 mm. In fact, the tilt stand sits at 478 mm.

I have my Studio Display with tilt stand sitting on a 75 mm high plinth, so arguably I could have gone for the height adjustable, but the plinth was already on my desk and even if it hadn’t been, was far, far cheaper than the upgrade to the monitor stand.

Fair enough. I had a stand for my iMac at one point, but I just don’t like having a mini desk on my desk. Wasn’t for me. (I did like having space beneath the monitor for storage, though.)

1 Like