Subscription Review --> Attempting Life without Evernote

Very easy IMO. The advantage Obsidian has is that the data are in my control. The .md limitations pale into the backgrounad against being in control of my own stuff.

I used to be a paid user of Evernote. But I now have the free version, which still allows me to do web clipping. So you may not need to pay if that’s primarily what you use it for.

Both. On Mac everything is downloaded locally and synced on/with EN. On iOS / iPadOS you can elect which folders you want keep on the device.

Okay, so you have a local copy but all your stuff is in the cloud somewhere, right?

True, they do not offer multiple export options. You can now at least export entire folders, but the primary format is .enex. Then that needs to be imported into another program that can use their format. Then you have more flexibility.

Since I’m basically a lifer at this point it’s not really an issue for me.

If EN would quit working on the stupid Home screen and task feature that is really useless; they could focus on backlinks. A backlinks feature would make EN incredible!

Correct. EN engine is used to sync across devices. They switched to third-party data centers for hosting instead of trying to manage their own. I don’t recall if it is Google or AWS data centers.

1 Like

EN moved to Google in 2016

1 Like

Here’s an article, written by some jerk, about the Evernote to google transition.

7 Likes

@ adamashlock You might want to take a look at using Hook Pro with EN. With built in AppleScript, it basically does provide backlinks. I have nothing to do with Hook, other than started using it a few weeks ago and finding it very useful. They offer a month free trial as well. (also just saw they are having a 20% off sale for another day)

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but for me, this would go in 1Password.

Much quicker to find and retrieve.

2 Likes