SuperDuper 3.5B

Is anyone using the 3.5 Beta release of SuperDuper? If so, how is it going?

I am, as far as I can tell itā€™s working fine so far.

M1 or Intel? Were you able to ā€œsmart updateā€ a pre-3.5 backup?

1 Like

Intel, and no, I started from scratch.

1 Like

Iā€™m using 3.5B3 (v121.3). I switched to it when I recently upgraded my 2017 Intel iMac from Catalina to Big Sur. It seems to be working great, although I havenā€™t actually tried to reboot from the backup, but then the backup is really there in case I ever need to rebuild the system via Migration Assistant. In fact, when I upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur, that was a part of switching from my internal Fusion drive to an external Thunderbolt 3 SSD as my boot drive (best decision I ever made). I did a clean install of Big Sur on the SSD, and then booted it and used Migration Assistant from my Fusion drive. Since I changed so much, I decided to erase my SuperDuper backup drive and start backups from scratch rather than try a smart update from Catalina to Big Sur.

2 Likes

Off topic, but what software did you use to create your avatar? Looks great.

Ya, Iā€™m where you are with a ā€˜newā€™ bootable backup from Big Sur on a MacMini to a new Samsung T-5 using the latest Beta of SuperDuper. Theoretically, everything went a smoothly as every other Bootable backup using previous Mac versions with their comparable SuperDuper versions. Only, this time I havenā€™t worked up the brass to take the final step and boot from the external drive. So, my suggestion is why donā€™t YOU boot from your backup and let us know how it wentā€¦.:wink:!

@Daveb08 :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Sorry, only going to happen in a complete emergency, like Iā€™m unable to boot from the recovery partition. But given todayā€™s SSD expected lifetimes, I doubt that Iā€™ll ever need to boot from the SD backup.

Not to pick on @agmalis or @Daveb08, but an emergency should never be the first time you try to access your backup. A backup that you donā€™t test regularly is like Schrƶdingerā€™s cat: it could be a working backup, it could be nothing more than a paperweight.

1 Like

Ya,ya yaā€¦ā€¦.you had to remind meā€¦:wink:

1 Like