Syst. Pref. / Apple Watch Unlock Mac Missing?

This is confusing. For some reason, the option for the Apple Watch to unlock the Mac is missing in preferences. I pretty sure I’m not “losing it!” :slight_smile:

Any ideas of what I need to do to have this option available? I haven’t changed anything. I’m using the M1 13" MBP with the latest version of Big Sur.

You might check the following:

Make sure that your devices are set up as follows:

• Your Mac has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.
  • Your Mac and Apple Watch are signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID, and your Apple ID is using two-factor authentication.
  • Your Apple Watch is using a passcode.
1 Like

Thanks @ChrisUpchurch. This is strange, I got up this morning and just read your reply. I went to my MBP to make sure my settings where correct as you suggested. Having done nothing since I first posted the problem, my MBP unlocked with my watch and the option to do so now appears in system preferences. Again, I never changed a thing. Strange but I’m happy it is working again. :slight_smile: Thanks again.

I’ve seen this on my intel iMac when my bluetooth had issues, few minutes later after everything was normal again the option reappeared. Really strange!

1 Like

I think when the Watch and/or the Mac is in ‘do not disturb’ mode that the feature is hidden. Maybe.

1 Like