Tags - what are they good for?

Interesting. In the example cited in the article, I would simply be sure to include the word “Ukraine” in the document name, rather than use a tag.

I have no science to back this up, but I do believe that there are some people who seem to “think” in terms of tags, or prefer tags… and some who think in/prefer folders.

I understand that Tags definitely give more flexibility for things in multiple locations, but I still hardly ever use them for anything substantial.

3 Likes

But a name isn’t supposed to convey all the metadata about it.
I mean, your name isn’t Mitch Californian Tech Journalist Wagner… or is it?? :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am not a document. I am a human being.

Nor am I a tech journalist. I am a former tech journalist. :slight_smile:

I am not a document. I am a human being.

I had a flash of John Hurt in “the Elephant Man” right there :slight_smile:

I was thinking that as I wrote it, but thought that the reference might be too obscure to mention here. It’s good to know that people still remember the classics!

1 Like

I thought more of “I’m not a number, I’m a free man” from The Prisoner.

6 Likes

I am so glad I’m not the only person who read that heading in exactly this way. :smiley:

1 Like

Ram number 6 was a Free Ram.

When we were giving the batches of brats a name and listing all the sheep in them.

We had a batch named More Village among other notable batches.

And yes I make scrapbooks about the sheep.

Know your food takes on a whole new meaning in our valley…

5 Likes

A fantastic movie and a bittersweet story, for sure!

:grin: I thought exactly the same thing!!!
I only use tags as triggers for Hazel, but don’t rely on them to actually organize and find files.
Have a great Sunday everybody!

1 Like

In case this is useful to anyone regarding tagging…

2 Likes

I’ve only just started using tags. My first use case is to stop Hazel rules running again and again on the same file if I rename it but don’t move it (I rename all files consistently with one rule, and then move with another, but if a new file comes in that doesn’t meet a move rule, I need Hazel to only run once per file, so I have a “processed” tag.

1 Like

Considering the number of people here that are basically only using tags in Hazel, I wonder how many people manage to use Hazel without using tags?

2 Likes

Me. I use Hazel a bit and I don’t use tags. Bonus I annoy Mr Noddlesoft by asking how to get Hazel to invoke other applications.

1 Like

Good luck, I never found an use for them. I tried them years ago. Probably when they were introduced? I found they didn’t even work well but I can’t remember in what way now. I stopped using them, I liked the idea of color coding and still do but I found it cumbersoms.

Do you guys still recommend not using both groups and tags? I think you used to? Thanks for that and I will read it, should have before asking you so don’t bother replying if you think the answer is in the link!

That’s from “The Prisoner”! ?

Yep, The original. The reboot was also good but different. Both are a sequel to “Secret Agent” The openeing sequence of the Prisoner is when he left as the agent in Secret Agent
Secret Agent

And a great theme song Secret Agent Man

And the root of the “I am Not a Number, I am a Free Man!” line.

And the opening of The Prisoner

The Prisoner was filmed in Portmerion, which was designed to fool the eye and it not at normal scale hence the disconcerting episodes in the Prisoner. I cn’t find the link but I think the building are designed at about 2/3 scale. Difficult to find furniture for! :grinning:

And yes, I am a fan…

2 Likes

I have approximately 30 Hazel rules none of which uses tags. Most simply rename and move downloaded files or keep certain backups to a minimum of the last two. Some are part of a series I use when importing Day One journal entries as individual markdown files into DEVONThink.

Stephen