Task Management in Evernote

Are you sure? :laughing:

Iā€™m also OCD which is why one integrated system is appealing but I donā€™t think it will work for me. Iā€™ve pretty much concluded that Craft, OF, Scrivener are three apps that are integrated and are working well for me. I just need to ā€œleave well enough alone!ā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not exactly. I was thinking more like a script I could run via Hazel or trigger via Keyboard Maestro that would go through Noteplanā€™s Markdown files, identify tasks, add them to Things, and check them off in the Markdown file. Ideally no action required from me between typing the task in Noteplan and having it show up in Things.

That is an intriguing idea. I tend to immediately select and send to OF as soon as a meeting ends. My ā€œworkflowā€ is pretty simple. I select the todos in Craft, mark them complete and share to OF. They do NOT show complete in OF, which is what I want. The checkoff in Craft indicates they have been sent to OF, not that they are completed tasks. The todos in Craft look like this right before I send them to OF.

2 Likes

I have spent many hours trying to incorporate Craft/Obisiden in my workflow. I realised, what works for me is Apple Notes. Its easy, I know how to use it and sharing with family is easy as everyone has Apple Notes installed.

Sometimes, I feel, I should have use cases because Craft is such a joy to use. This community does bring new apps to light and each time, I go down the path of exploring it. I enjoy it.

I have been using Apple notes for years.

1 Like

the problem I have with task managers [as opposed to reminders, a blur at times]:

they arenā€™t where the work is. at least in my world.

if Iā€™m in a task manager minding the tasks, then moving to other apps to do the actual work, sooner or later the task manager will wither and ultimately die from lack of attention.

I can make a great outline of events in a managing app, only to leave it once I get started.

2 Likes

This is an issue that everyone faces. To avoid this trap I do a weekly review. It is scheduled on my calendar for Friday mornings as an appointment. My EA knows not to schedule anything during this time.

The weekly overview keeps me on track and on top of things. It reduces stress and anxiety because I donā€™t subconsciously try to keep things in my head. The Review feature in OF is one of the reasons I keep using OF instead of other project applications like Things.

The bottom line is that if one doesnā€™t tend the garden (oneā€™s projects and tasks) no matter where the garden is (application used) it will go to weeds.

While in theory it seems ideal to have all of oneā€™s tasks and notes, etc., in one integrated location, until there is a superb application designed specifically to handle both content and projects well and in a tightly integrated fashion, I find it helpful to have a dedicated place to focus exclusively on a high level review of on going and future projects. Applications like OF provide me a aerial view or map of my responsibilities and related projects whereas my note taking application provides all of the details I need at each stop on the journey.

1 Like

I too was using Apple Notes. It has a lot to offerā€“I sometimes think it is underrated.

However, I stopped using AN after running into significant syncing issues multiple times. Those issues resulted in hours spent trying to figure out why AN on my Mac had x notes while AN on my iPad had only x notes. ā€œWhich notes are missing?ā€ I also lost notes.

The other key issue for me is that AN is a proprietary system. Getting oneā€™s notes out of AN is a pain and the export to PDF rather than plain or MD text makes oneā€™s notes less than portable. There are third party solutions but that is not ideal. It can also take several days for the notes to be exported.

Iā€™m a convert to using plain/MD text for all notes and writing. I donā€™t mind writing in RT so long as the application exports well to pain/MD test. Two of the apps I use do so (Craft and Scrivener) so Iā€™m future proofed.

All of that said, obviously, everyoneā€™s needs are different and for many AN is ideal. It is free, it is being actively developed, it integrates across devices, support Scribble, Apple Pencil, includes document scanning and more. It is a good application for many things and meets the needs of many.

1 Like

Well, in my line of work, honestly, it would amount to a professional mistake. :grin:

Man, that was good for a good laugh! :laughing:

1 Like

@Bmosbacker

I donā€™t advocate for integrated systems, or full integration. in fact, I find them untenable. virtually all of the law office case management systems are unusable to me for this reason, primarily.

Ideally Iā€™d like to be able to create a dashboard for involved cases, where files, calendars, and note & reminders/tasks are available and accessible on a single page.

I thought about building one in FileMaker but havenā€™t mustered the energy yet.

That is probably the case (pun intended). :slight_smile: But in ā€œprincipleā€ I like the idea of a fully integrated system. @JohnAtl is using NotePlan 3. I also found this article:

Iā€™m tempted to give NotePlan a short trial run but I think Iā€™ve probably been messing with my system enough. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a long time since I used Evernote, but that functionality has always been there. I used to use it pre 2013. it may be more visible though.

It helps me to capture tasks during meetings. I check them off as I complete them (in 2 minutes or less) or add them to Omnifocus.

Notion or Craft might be a good fit for this. August Bradley has good Notion videos, though they are in the ā€œrun your life with Notionā€ vein. Still, lots of dashboard-style setups he goes through.

2 Likes

@JohnAtl

hey thanks. Iā€™ll check that out.

I suspect my needs are deeper than what these apps may allow but Iā€™ll take a look.

*for example; I need folder access showing a file tree, etc. but Iā€™ll give it a drive and see

1 Like

1000 times this! I believe you are an attorney, like me, and Iā€™m curious: given that so much of our work starts in email, usually gets done elsewhere (e.g. Wordā€¦canā€™t be helped!) and then back to email to be delivered, what do you find works best? When I could use a Mac for work (wistful sigh), I still found that email was a main task list even though I tried to send emails to OmniFocus. All that accomplished was an uncurated mess in OF3ā€¦

Now that Iā€™m stuck using a corporate Windows 10 laptop, I am somewhat at a loss. While some work starts in, is worked on, and ends all in email (a typical client advice question, for example), much of the time itā€™s not that simple.

And Iā€™m REALLY struggling with how to handle it. Right now, 5 weeks into the Great No MacBook For Me experience, Iā€™m relying even more than I had been on pen & paper. But even with limited tools at my disposal, I still feel like I could be leveraging Outlook, OneNote, and something else better.

Maybe after we upgrade to Microsoft 365 and I can use Teams/Tasks/Planner/etc it will be ā€œbetterā€ but I really foresee yet another MailMateā€“>OF3 experience.

So many people spend so much time talking about how to minimize email, yet my entire workalike basically IS email. What to do, what to do??

1 Like