Technical question somewhat theoretical

Without rehashing the whole sorry saga, of my DEVONThink corruption, I lost both imported and indexed files.

As to whether backup software sees packages as single files or folders I would think that most will see them as folders but not sure.

bit rot also includes the case of multiple copies of a file being made and errors in the transcrition creeping in so periodic bit by bit verification that the copy you just made is an exact duplicate fo the one you started with is in order for important data.

Backblaze does this – it looks at only the files with a modification date > last backup date and transfers them to the cloud.

ChronoSync, on the desktop, offers an option to “dissect packages”, chunking out the portions that changed, or not.

I’m pretty sure that rsync only copies changed files in a package – as does CarbonCopyCloner which uses rsync.

The gist of it is that macOS knows that a package is a directory with sub-folders and files inside it, and backup software works with that knowledge.

4 Likes

Generally, there is no way a file inside a database management system is less likely to be corrupted vs a file in the filesystem.

Edit: I missed a great opportunity to begin my answer with “Theoretically,”.

4 Likes

And by the way, not to overcomplicate this too much, but there are also two different types of “database” to consider.

The first is what you’re using - a database that contains information about separate files, like DEVONthink. If that’s all you care about, you can stop reading. :slight_smile:

But an app doesn’t have to store notes as separate files, which brings us to the second type of database. For example, Bear stores everything in an SQLite database. That’s a database, but for an app like that, what you likely think of as “files” (i.e. “individual notes”) are actually just pieces/parts of one big file, which would make them much more vulnerable to potential corruption.

Bottom line? If your data is hugely important, you always want to know what your app is doing with your data, so you can plan accordingly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My bottom line would be: everything else being the same, better to use standalone files. But is everything else the same? There are portability, backup, workflow, and capability considerations that are much more important than the integrity concern by itself.

Absolutely, although some of those go hand-in-hand with the file question. :slight_smile:

Thank you that’s what I was looking for.

This is not correct. I should have said, “A package is any directory that the Finder presents to the user as if it were a single file.” https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217665608-How-Does-Backblaze-Deal-With-Mac-OS-X-Packages-

Thank you everyone for the tremendous input and advice. You guys are awesome!

I’ve learned a great deal reading this thread. I’m going to ponder the implications for a possible tweak to my workflow.

Again, thank you for taking time out of busy schedules to help. I appreciate it more than I know how to adequately express.

1 Like

Can’t fool me, it’s files all the way down.

1 Like